Fences...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
We have lots of cedar trees, a forrest of trees as a matter of fact. I want to use the fallen trees to build fencing. I know some of you have built fences like this, what are your ideas?

Can I do it with just a hand saw?

Any photos?

Thanks!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of fence you want to build.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
What is the fence supposed to do? Decorative, or contain animals and if so which kind?

If you just want decorative, pretty much anything is fine. Make some into posts and use the others as rails as desired, either spiked or wired onto the posts or stacked between another 'post' that is not set in the ground but just wired to the real post to sandwich the rail ends in place. Or spend more time and lumber (a *lot* more time and lumber), but no digging, making any of the purely stacked fences -- snake, buck-and-brace, that sort of thing.

If you want to contain large stock you need to figure out whether you have enough large-diameter good quality posts (don't use anything less than 4-5" diameter at the top after peeling, unless it's for an electric fence) and rails (unless there'll be a lot of electricity involved, don't use anything less than about 3" diameter at the narrow end).

If you want the fence to last, PEEL THE POSTS and preferably rails too -- they will last longer that way. No, the bark does not protect from rot, it *encourages* rot by trapping water against the wood surface. Also anything you nail/spike/wire to a post will come loose if you haven't peeled them, as the bark loosens and rots and falls off through time. Yes, peeling does add a *lot* of extra time; it is easier if you've seasoned the wood (which is a good idea anyhow).

You can use a bow saw or something like that (or regular hand saw for the smallest diameter things) but you will be there a looooong time and develop impressive saw-arm muscles. Chainsaw is much more efficient. Used carefully of course.

If the idea is you want an inexpensive horse fence, your best bet is to do cedar posts and hang a bunch of properly-done properly-charged electrobraid or electric rope. This is by far the easeist option, despite the nontrivial cost of the electric fencing itself.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I would like a fence to keep my horses in. 3/4 of their fencing is electric wire...I want to switch that out with non electric fencing for obvious reasons.

I have fenced and cross fenced using a nice "live stock panel" and wood pressure treated posts, but it was expensive. I would like to finish my job with the wood that naturally falls during wind storms etc...there is a lot of it already.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How are your horses about staying in their pasture? My parent's neighbor's horses are amazing... She has a long portion of unfenced front yard, and all she does is string some of that 1" tape along, and they stay inside it. It's the kind of tape that might be used to mark a property line. So maybe you don't need too much fencing? Unless your horses are like a different horse I know. He will lean against a wooden fence until it cracks and falls over, then be long gone!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on peeling the bark off. I never would have thought of that.

My three horses are very dosile by the way, the electric fence only needs to be on as a reminder every once in a while.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like fences for livestock to keep out more critters than worrying about keeping mine in.

I have all cattle panels, red brand livestock fencing etc. I too used to have electric fencing and I hated it. Panel would get fried from our lightening storms and cost alot of money to replace a panel (always "just after warranty date of course...LOL) I always use high tensil wire when electric fencing. The tape and ropes just melt and discingrate in the NC sun...they don't last one season here....lousey.

but I want to keep critters out and it means wire fencing for me.

Cedar and untreated fencing doesn't last as long as you would think.
We had tons of cedar posts for corner posts etc. that had to be replaced fairly fast.

One thing about fencing.....it is alot of work. So for me, I put up the "fence that lasts and does the best job" --only once!!!!

For me I would use the wood for decorative purposes or something. I couldn't build a nice fence only to know I had to do it again in like 3 years...LOL---I don't like that type of work enough..HA HA HA

let us know what you do! and post pics if you can!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have an acre (my backyard) fenced in with livestock paneling and pressure treated posts...my "little guys" (sheep and chickens) live in my backyard and need extra protection from other critters. But my horses, I think can pretty much hold their own.

I don't mind the work, so much, I know I would have to replace parts of the fence from time to time...that is ok with me.

I was thinking of the ancient fences you may see in the south. The "posts" are stacked sorta in a staggered one on top of the other and the fence is in a zig zag type of line. No nails, just stacked. Anyone know about this? I thought that I could easily replace a post here and there as needed. There is one in town I'll have to get a photo of it.

Thanks for your ideas!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We have those kind of fences, really ancient ones, all over the place in this country and they are still in use. They aren't an efficient use of space or wood as they use a lot of both, but then, they had a lot of both back then!

You might want to use that wood for making some sturdy wooden chairs, the rustic kind that sell like hotcakes around here.....for lots of money! They are really primitive and the city folks love those things.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The stacked genre of fences a) will not keep horses in very well, especially if you are not highly experienced in constructing them, unless you add electric wire to keep the horses off the fence; and b) take a WHALE of a lot of poles, we're talking a dozen or more for each section of fence; and c) are quite time- and labor-intensive to build.

I truly don't recommend it unless you have a bunch of teenage sons with energy to burn, and a forest full o' trees already cut -- but, of course, it *can* be done. If you do want to build them, for heaven's sake get a good manual/article on how to do it -- I have seen several good ones but would have to think and rummage to figure out where. There is a huge difference between done right and done wrong, and the latter will jsut fall over right away, honest.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat