Fencing Help Needed

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have about 3.5 acres of land that needs to be fenced in, pronto. Our sheep keep escaping from the woven wire fence dh put up when we moved in about 5 years back. His health does not allow him to keep up with it and I just about killed myself while trying to fix a section myself yesterday. The sheep lean on the fencing so it sags, bend the t-posts, and head for freedom. I just told my elder daughter that if we can't find an affordable way to buy fencing and have it installed, the sheep will have to go. She promptly burst into tears, so here I am, asking for solutions.

I would like to stay away from anything electrified.

A large portion of our land is edged by older trees, so falling branches are always a consideration.

What is the most cost-effective method of fencing in large areas?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Could you use cattle panels?

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Cattle panels would be awesome if we didn't have three toy breed dogs to keep in, too. We actually used a few panels for a portion of our fencing, but had to go around and put chicken wire over the bottom half to keep the dogs in. One of them is very agile and still hops through because she can jump higher than we thought she could. Lol.

Panels are still a distinct possibility, we would just have to invest in taller chicken wire.

Any other options out there?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Horse wire is strong and the holes are only 2"x4". But it is not cheap nor easy to put up. Best bet in your situation is put up a hot wire.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember a ranger telling me that the best way to keep deer out was to used a hot wire and put pieces of foil every few feet, then put peanut butter on the foil.... After a few tongue zaps, the deer learn to avoid anything that even smells like peanut butter. Wonder if that would work with sheep?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It could be as simple as switching your T posts out for sturdier wooden posts. You can rent an auger for installing them and you can use your woven wire you already possess. The sheep are scratching their bodies on that fencing, so you might also put in a few wooden fence posts here and there on your acres and rough up the wood real well with a saw so that they can scratch more effectively. Some people go so far as to get old coil springs from cars and mount them up so that cattle and sheep can use them for scratching, thus saving the fences.

Another neat trick for keeping them occupied while also keeping their hooves in great shape, is to pile a group of rocks or cement blocks in the middle of your pasture so they can climb, scratch, and play on it...this keeps them from climbing your fences and bearing them down.

Sheep don't do so well with electric fencing, so folks who keep big herds tend to avoid the high tensile electric for containment. I'd not recommend it...been there, done that and it was not effective for sheep like it is for pigs, cows or horses.

Latest posts