Fencing is finally almost finished - and Goat house in the works?!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As you guys know, we bought 2 goats recently. I started working on building them a small house today, we've put in the blocks now .. we were only 2 3/4" off in the level so I dug down to get it level. I know, it's not ideal having deck blocks hold up a goat house, but we don't have enough soil to sink posts unfortunately.

Also!!! I'm almost finished our buck fencing for the lower fields. We have enough soil to sink posts, but good luck in pure pan clay! Ugh! So instead we opted out of augering and decided to put up floating fence, also known as buck and rail, or buck fence, OR some call it split rail fence.
goathouse_blocks.jpg

fence_28.jpg

I can dig up near the top of the field, so our small top field is dug 4" posts with 5 lines of electric (top rail of electric tape for visibility, mostly for our visibility :) ). Along the western fence line we have t-posts until I can afford to buck fence that too. As you can see, the fence line is coming across the field now to seperate the eastern and western fields. I have left a gap to put my gates in, but so far so good! ... That white string in the semi-foreground is actually a marker for my riding ring, just fyi!

A couple more photos, these are before I finished the front fence of it...

buckfence_aug20.jpg

You can see kind of where I brought it across to divide the fields in this photo

And from the back, the darker rail is a support to prevent it from ...falling and collapsing. All of the panels will have one eventually, but for now it's alright

The whole thing is nailed together, you see them wired often times but I just don't think it's sturdy enough.

I have to saw off nails that went into knots and grind them down before the horses go in, and wait for that darn alfalfa to die back....

and finish it LOL

fencefromback.jpg

And just for fun, Luna's big butt... What a lovely rump that is! ;)

She has come such a long way.

luna_fence_aug2009.jpg

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I suffer from fence envy. :(
That's okay, so do I :( I drive by lovely farms and oogle at the fencing while attempting to not drive off the road. I'm terrible with goat fencing, I almost did drive off the road once!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
big brown horse said:
I suffer from fence envy. :(
That's okay, so do I :( I drive by lovely farms and oogle at the fencing while attempting to not drive off the road. I'm terrible with goat fencing, I almost did drive off the road once!
:lol:

I am envious of YOUR fences!! I love them! :gig

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Looks great!!!!!

Wanna come help me finish my fence? :lol: :p

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was thinking of pimping out my buck fencing skillz (lols), there are few people who do this, and the only other guy in our area does it with wire, which I'm not impressed with (the look, durability, and safety of it). It goes up a lot faster than traditional fencing, has a wider base, and it can be put up in the middle of the winter :D I'm starting up the goat buck fencing this winter (which will be much shorter than the horse buck fence, probably around 5ft at the tips of the poles, and again probably 10ft panels to lessen the cost and make it faster to put up, but note, my fencing will be doubled as I'll have 6 lines of electric on t-posts on the inside of my goat fencing.)

This stuff looks excellent, and I was even considering putting it up along the driveway where the property lines meet because the old paige wire that is there is falling down. I thought I'd seal it with a deck seal on the property line, it'd be beautiful, and serve a purpose incase we get any escapee horses or goats (right now we have bungy gates that span the driveway for escapees, if needed.)