fermented ketchup

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was reading in NT and found a recipe for fermented ketchup. Well, grad school made me skeptical of everything, so I had to do some research. Turns out, Sally got the food history mostly right. She claims it was a fermented fish sauce but my internet research indicates that ketchup can be traced back much farther to the brine left over from pickling fish and other stuff. Makes sense. Who could afford to throw away salt? And with a winter-time diet of peas and root vegetables, who in Europe would pass on additional flavor?

I've often wondered what to do with the solutions left in the jar.

Here's an example of what I found on the interwobs.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/pickles/ketchup.html

I'm gonna start a batch tonight. I don't have a great record in the fermenting category but not practicing isn't helping. I think the hardest part is deciding if it's "good". Real pickled stuff has so many more flavors than the vinegar-marinated cucumbers I grew up with. That makes it hard to know if the whole jar is off or if my tastes need re-calibration.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't want to rain on your parade but found several reviews somewhere on the NT fermented ketchup, none were good. But you might like it. This is coming from a fish sauce hater so take it with a grain of salt. Love the fermented beans and the kimchee is to die for. The kimchee is so close to what is made in Korea that I have guys who served in Korea pay me to make them some. So definitely a fan of most of the stuff from NT.

Latest posts