Fermenting feed

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, I like your comments. I think that next season, when I clean up the garden... I'll build a pile right under the roosts. It's my usual MO to clean things out in the fall to make room for the winter's accumulation. But... perhaps I'm going at it all wrong! One of my concerns is that the walls of the coop are wafer board, and I don't want the mass and moisture of the DL building up against those walls. Perhaps it's time to consider adding an inner wall to keep the moisture off the outer wall. I have some steel roofing that would do the trick.
Yeah...I'm REALLY missing my garden mess in that mix long about now. It's the first time I haven't had warmer temps in the coop than I had outside and also the first time I've seen little frosted places on the rooster's combs. Usually they stay red and lovely, the thermometer at the roosts reads 10* warmer than the outside temps and that's with the coop wide open at all levels.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am surrounded by trees. But the wind blows all of the leaves back into the woods, and I'll not go into the woods with the ticks and the poison ivy to rake leaves. So... my material is imported. I'm especially thankful when I can bring home bagged leaves. And our town dump has a composting area where I load up several times/year. Never enough, but every bit helps. I'm registered with "chip drop" have been for about 6 years, never successful there. And when chipper trucks are actually chipping on my road, and I beg them for chips, they'll never drop them here, even though I have easy access, and they drive right past my house. I pay $3.50 for a bale of trashy mulch hay.

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Fermenting rocks! To many many benefits and up-sides to name! I recently converted a friend to this and while they were previously using about half a five-galleon-bucket on three bantam chickens, they now ferment that half bucket and it spreads around to all of their chickens (I think they have 50+ at the moment!)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fermenting rocks! To many many benefits and up-sides to name! I recently converted a friend to this and while they were previously using about half a five-galleon-bucket on three bantam chickens, they now ferment that half bucket and it spreads around to all of their chickens (I think they have 50+ at the moment!)

It's early yet. I had to read your post twice. I thought you were saying that you were fermenting rocks. So... scratching my head here, wondering, "How's that working for ya???"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I'm paying WAY TOO MUCH FOR MY FEED!!!! my yard is full of rocks. Every spring, I have an incredible harvest of rocks of all size! Who knew! A bucket, half full of rocks, add water.... tincture of time..... feed out, rinse and repeat. Never ending supply of feed!!!

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's early yet. I had to read your post twice. I thought you were saying that you were fermenting rocks. So... scratching my head here, wondering, "How's that working for ya???"

Don't feel alone, I read the same thing....rocks? We are so old, aren't we? :lol:

I got lost on the "Fermenting rocks" also. I thought, does she actually get rotten granite from them?
My excuse - I have a terrible head cold.

I'm wondering if I'm paying WAY TOO MUCH FOR MY FEED!!!! my yard is full of rocks. Every spring, I have an incredible harvest of rocks of all size! Who knew! A bucket, half full of rocks, add water.... tincture of time..... feed out, rinse and repeat. Never ending supply of feed!!!

Gee, am I the only one that read Fermenting rocks! And didn’t literally think it was rocks? LOL

I didn't either but didn't want to sound, well, I don't know. It so easily could have been me.
I prefer Rock Soup :gig

Yeah, sorry about that! I meant fermenting is great! But I'll stick with plain old grains for my chickens, thank you very much! 😆
And then I didn't check on for nearly a month, I just wanted to leave you all hanging!