Fifty Year Plan

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If my parents are any indication of what I'll be doing in fifty years (and sorry as I am to say it I'll probably be exactly like them, already I look in the mirror and say, "hullo mom") I'll be shuffling around with my walker and going to bingo with my girlfriends. We'll check in with each other about who had a stroke and who had a hip replacement. Lookin' forward to it! :p

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The topic hits home with me. I'm the almost the same age as the OP when they posted it. I have accomplished the list of my life plan when I was 14 years old. At the time, I thought it would take 10 years. 🤣 more like 25 years!

So now what?

I'm especially interested in responses from those over 50 years old. What advise would you give to someone in their 30's for their next 50 years? [Please assume person has basic SS proficiency and has bought their land/property/home.]

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My biggest suggestion is to get, and stay, out of debt if at all possible. Add a little bit extra to your mortgage each month. Pay more than the minimum. Decide the difference between what is a want and what is a need.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have lived my 50 yr plan! Have own farm, animals, garden, equipment, an income, make my own decisions. At this point, wants and needs are pretty clear. I have gone thru many transitions during those years of work, child rearing, marriages, parent care and deaths. Always kept my goal of farm and SS. Been here 20 years, no partner, 3rd farm....and last, as I am where I had always hoped.

Be willing to compromise along the way. Keep the goal in mind. Prepare your mind, stay active, concentrate on what you can do, not always everything you feel you want to do. Know you can change. Appreciate what you have. Develop a lot of patience, you'll need it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
find those who will work with you and you with them. encourage each other.

my own plan was to work hard for a while and retire early and i did that. no regrets. had i worked longer i could have perhaps had money to buy land but i don't think i'd have been the same person with the same values.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The topic hits home with me. I'm the almost the same age as the OP when they posted it. I have accomplished the list of my life plan when I was 14 years old. At the time, I thought it would take 10 years. 🤣 more like 25 years!

So now what?

I'm especially interested in responses from those over 50 years old. What advise would you give to someone in their 30's for their next 50 years? [Please assume person has basic SS proficiency and has bought their land/property/home.]
Good responses on advice, so far. Since I fit your age criteria *cough cough*, I had a few thoughts in general:
- protect your mental health. If you can care for yourself, you can't care for others, like the oxygen mask preflight safety briefing. However you get your peace is up to you.

- understand things can change in a moment. At 48, had less than ten years to pay off the homestead, was getting my SS life moving well. Then a surprise, nasty divorce. 8 years later, I have finally started back on the SS path, despite my new wife developing health issues.

- Marine Corps motto from almost 10 years of volunteer work. ADAPT. ..IMPROVISE. ..OVERCOME

- maintain that strong work ethic/drive. If you find yourself frustrated or tired, ask yourself why and look at what needs changed

I have a bunch more, but one last one for now.

BE HAPPY!

Like a meme I love.... Live like a puppy.. if you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i remember taking care of some kittens at my sister's place for a week and they were a lot of fun, since i like to read they knew where to find me when they'd get done finding other things to amuse themselves and then some of them would turn off like someone had hit a switch and curl up for a nap. five little fuzzballs making their little motor noises and idling until they would wake up, yawn and stretch and then start playing again. a nice life. :) puppies and puppy piles and puppy breath were also good times.

what does this have to do with SS? well, saving memories and having them for the tougher times and to keep oneself amused and happy is probably a good survival skill and they can also give you something to do writing bits of a story or two on a winter evening while waiting to get tired enough to fall asleep. :)

Latest posts