Fill your feezer with BEEF FAST AND CHEAP!

bluestar-ranch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I want to a local cattle auction and got live 3 calves for .46 a pound!

You can get longhorn calves real cheap as cowboys use these for roping and they are not considered a popular breed for beef...although in my book they taste the same at 1/2 the price.. Most other breeds..... (which are great, herford, brangus, beefmaster... etc... are .90 cents to $1.40 a pound!)

Although, they get huge, (a little slower that nother breeds) they are gentle, great meat and extra lean... they do forage well and do well in most climates.

Or, for meat REAL FAST you can look for a calf (best size is 500 to 800 lbs) with an injured foot or something.. They sell any breed for about .40 a pound!!!!! live weight at the auctions and you can have calf taken to processing plant same day.... two weeks later... you will have a freexer full of beef real cheap!!! you should get 175 to 280 cut wrapped meat.

You can split the meat with your friends/ church or co op- or buy another freezer ... you will be glad you did, get a claf before the prices skyrockes if your family eats beef. Good luck. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's no good if there's no auction around your area. We have an auction, but what they mainly sell is poultry, rabbits and a few goats and/or sheep. Occasionally, you'll see a pig or a cow, but that's the exception. :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Unless it can be butchered the following day, I cant. :welcome

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have honestly thought about buying a calf before. I have no room, but, if I could get away with killing the damn thing there and letting it bleed out in the back of my car, then processing it once I got home (it's an hour long drive) I could do it! I have a Baja, so it's like a truck, but tiny, lol. Now, the hard part would probably be convincing them to let you stick the thing before loading it into the back of your vehicle.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good idea. Much easier than raising one yourself. Especially if you can take it right to the processor.

bluestar-ranch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I have honestly thought about buying a calf before. I have no room, but, if I could get away with killing the damn thing there and letting it bleed out in the back of my car, then processing it once I got home (it's an hour long drive) I could do it! I have a Baja, so it's like a truck, but tiny, lol. Now, the hard part would probably be convincing them to let you stick the thing before loading it into the back of your vehicle.
Actually, there are cowpokes with trailers at the end of auction to carry the calf right to the processor... of course, make sure there is a processor, make an appointment and purchase a claf.. its takes two weeks for the meat to cure (about 10 days to 2 weeks) before its OK to eat... A good processor will do this.

I would not suggest you put a claf in the back of your car....not a good idea! But is is a good idea to save money if you want a lot of beef fast.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
you can also go to any local dairy and buy the male holsteins and raise them to weight yourself. The meat marbles well....we are talking about getting one this spring.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
bluestar-ranch said:
Bettacreek said:
Actually, there are cowpokes with trailers at the end of auction to carry the calf right to the processor... of course, make sure there is a processor, make an appointment and purchase a claf.. its takes two weeks for the meat to cure (about 10 days to 2 weeks) before its OK to eat... A good processor will do this.

I would not suggest you put a claf in the back of your car....not a good idea! But is is a good idea to save money if you want a lot of beef fast.
Call me weird, but I'd never want to pay someone to process an animal for me. Not when my family has always done their own animals. Grandfather owns a butcher shop that mom used to help in and my brother works as a butcher for now... When my dad got a deer, it was a family thing to process them down and either get them ready for the smokehouse, the freezer or the canner. Dad built a nice 12x12 smokehouse so we never had to send anything away for anyone else to do. :D The rest of the family and friends would come to our place to process their own deer with our supplies instead of being charged to have someone else do it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The thing with putting a calf in your car to bleed out is --well, it will bleed out all over your car. You could borrow a trailer, bring him home, then slaughter and hang him at your place.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Call me weird, but I'd never want to pay someone to process an animal for me. Not when my family has always done their own animals. Grandfather owns a butcher shop that mom used to help in and my brother works as a butcher for now... When my dad got a deer, it was a family thing to process them down and either get them ready for the smokehouse, the freezer or the canner. Dad built a nice 12x12 smokehouse so we never had to send anything away for anyone else to do. :D The rest of the family and friends would come to our place to process their own deer with our supplies instead of being charged to have someone else do it.
Not weird, just lucky. Some of the rest of us don't have the facilities or the experience to do our own processing, we're more than happy to pay for that.