Finally!!! My first egg!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Now , I am not on to stress over things. I know hens will lay when they lay. I also knew that they were due to lay around the 15th of this month, but figuring its colder and darker, there was no pressure on my little ladies.

So today, at 12:30, I go out to the barn to give the horses more hay, and a hen is sitting there on the hay. I half jokingly say to her--what-- are you laying an egg? Hopeful, but not really expecting it, I reached below her, and there was a medium sized darkish brown egg!! Yay!!!!! Having gone without farm fresh eggs for 6 months now, I am very HAPPY!!!!!!!:weee :clap

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
:woot :weee :ya

Love those fresh eggs. Especially when they are still warm from just being laid.

I think out of my 19 girls, maybe only 2-3 are not laying yet.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yay! It is always exciting. Did you give her a special treat for her effort? :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Yay! It is always exciting. Did you give her a special treat for her effort? :D
I had just got done making soup stock, and chicken noodle soup. I had already brought out the cooked veggies from the stock and the pickings from the chicken carcass, so yes, they all got rewarded!!!!! I am saving it to show my kids and hubby, but I can't wait to crack it open!!!!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
You could take a photo of it and post it to BYC. There was a thread that TerrieLacy started. It is kind of fun to document these things. :)

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats! I still get a happy surprise when I go out and find the eggs (if the kids don;t find them first!).

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
You could take a photo of it and post it to BYC. There was a thread that TerrieLacy started. It is kind of fun to document these things. :)
I can take the picture, but have to wait for hubby to upload it--I am not talented in that dept.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
WHOHOO!!
Congrats on your first egg!!!

I am getting sporadic eggs, at best. Yesterday we got TWO. I was soooooooo happy!!!!

I am waiting for the day when I have 6 or more eggs in a day!!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
WOOHOO!!! I love getting the first eggs...and now the anticipation of going out and finding several at once!!! How fun!!

Latest posts