Finances, Stock Market, Money Market, Mutual Funds, Investments, Savings, etc.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So true! Buy stock in toilet paper 🤣

plant comfrey, mullein and hemp (i wonder if anyone is making TP from hemp yet :) ). in the summer these are available for immediate use and the hemp could be used for making clothes, towels and rope. all handy things to have... sell to the neighbors or trade for food and protection.

yes, i had to look:

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whatever device you are using to post here can be used to trade.

correct. it is a desktop computer. i have no plans on carrying it around. ;)

I am not talking about options trading, just simple buying and selling of stocks.

I saw your objections and chose not to respond to them 😀 but, I will make one response

The paying of conversion fees (if applicable) are factored into the decision making process. Also, there's the opportunity cost of your own personal time to consider.

Day trading is a special breed. I view it (at a high level) as the same as pouring over multiple weekly store sales ads waiting to pounce on a deal. Day traders have different goals than long term investors. Different strokes for different folks.

all true. :) it's just not anything i've ever seen as something i wanted to get into. i do have plenty of programming skills and knowledge but my basic conservative approach just doesn't let me sleep very well if i think about putting a lot of money into some kind of automated system. i know that the companies, mutual funds and brokerage have their own automatic stuff happening and i'm content to let them keep doing that as they are - that is good enough for me. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
recent months have been interesting. :)

i don't consider this a bad thing or even unusual. i've been in the market and investing for nearly 50 years. there's been a ton of events, rounds of inflation, financial crisis, etc. that have happened and all of them have been opportunities and learning experiences.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it continues to be "interesting" in the markets. i don't really have much more to say than what i've already said in this thread.

i did add to one of my accounts today some shares of a company i've followed and invested in since the early 1990s so i understand what i got myself further into (i've already taken out many multiples of what i've got in there now even with what i added today). no sure thing but i think in 5 years it will be a good investment. watching a few others too for similar reasons. have kept the cash on the side for such events like the past few months. we'll see how it goes...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
once again checking different things in various accounts to make sure my allocations are in-line with how i want them to be.

this morning i finally adjusted one account i should have done some years ago. so that is now off my list at last.

the markets go up and down and it's not always easy to know when to do something so i think some lessons learned from my past are worth talking about.

one thing i used to do was try to buy something for a certain price just to get it for a lower cost. yes, that's ok to do, but if the investment is good for the longer term a short-term gain of a few pennies may be worth something to ignore.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
continued progress is all i can ask for. markets continue to go up and down.

the drama with the "messy open" recently was interesting for sure. i always learn a lot from the glitches that happen. i also try to keep some powder dry for such events like big drops or events outside normal control. if i can pick up a buy because everyone else is panicking then i've usually done well with those, but only for ones i've watched a long time and generally know the company/business/etc. i'm also happy to hold quite a while too.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my note to the SEC about record keeping did get a response.

the currrent rule is that financial institutions must keep records for at least six years. that's all. :(

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for several days i was stuck on a transaction that was getting an error message and i could not figure out what had changed because i'd not touched those files in several weeks so all of a sudden getting an error made me think that somehow underneath some other piece of the puzzle had changed. what it actually turned out to be was that i was including a file twice and while it was discarding most of the duplicate transactions (and not saying anything about there being duplicate transactions) in the case of this one in particular it was just cutting the amount in half. which, yes, would cause the error i was getting.

duh! :)

so with that now solved i can get back to work but not too much this week as i really need to get everything ready for the seed swap (a different kind of bean counting :) )...