Finances, Stock Market, Money Market, Mutual Funds, Investments, Savings, etc.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Device to do it? Are you specifically talking about "mining"? To trade, you can do over your phone, like any other stock/security. Easy peasy to trade

yes, the creation aka mining does require a lot of energy. we don't have a smartphone and don't want one. i have no desire to ever get into them. you didn't see my comment about currency conversion fees or my other objections.

i'm not a day trader. i don't want to be tied to the market like that and automated things don't always work out well. i've seen so many times when people who set stops get knocked out of a position by a market change and then the very next day the market reverses again and so they've missed out and have to figure out how to get back in and where. to me that's just a mess. i don't care to play games like that.

what i do is watch certain companies and learn about them and figure out what range i might want to buy in at and then in time it usually happens that the news or some event might move the stock into that range. often what has happened then after that is that the stock has bounced back up and given me a cushion of gains (and also dividends). held on for a number of years and if the company is solid enough they keep increasing the dividends and that may eventually even pay for the initial investment plus pay a large % dividend of my original buy in - a day trader won't ever see that.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So true! Buy stock in toilet paper 🤣

plant comfrey, mullein and hemp (i wonder if anyone is making TP from hemp yet :) ). in the summer these are available for immediate use and the hemp could be used for making clothes, towels and rope. all handy things to have... sell to the neighbors or trade for food and protection.

yes, i had to look:

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...Look at what people fear and what they will do to cancel out the fear and see if you can tap into that.

when everyone else is selling is usually a good time to be buying, but sometimes there are larger trends happening and you'll go against those at your own peril.

short term quick trades are ok, but i like to back them up with thinking longer term like what are the consequences of that freeze in TX for the longer term and could i buy a company that i like what they are doing for the longer term?

i did find one company and i did buy some shares recently - they pay a dividend and so that provides me with a bit more income but i'm also into them for as long as they keep doing things i like - which looks like they're going to be doing.

as usual i did some research and set a buy range and waited until the market went through this recent drop so it did get into that range. now they've bumped back up again and i have both the dividend and that bump up as a cushion for the future. never know what the future can bring, but it is paying me better than the money market was getting.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
yes, the creation aka mining does require a lot of energy. we don't have a smartphone and don't want one. i have no desire to ever get into them. you didn't see my comment about currency conversion fees or my other objections.

i'm not a day trader. i don't want to be tied to the market like that and automated things don't always work out well. i've seen so many times when people who set stops get knocked out of a position by a market change and then the very next day the market reverses again and so they've missed out and have to figure out how to get back in and where. to me that's just a mess. i don't care to play games like that.

what i do is watch certain companies and learn about them and figure out what range i might want to buy in at and then in time it usually happens that the news or some event might move the stock into that range. often what has happened then after that is that the stock has bounced back up and given me a cushion of gains (and also dividends). held on for a number of years and if the company is solid enough they keep increasing the dividends and that may eventually even pay for the initial investment plus pay a large % dividend of my original buy in - a day trader won't ever see that.
Whatever device you are using to post here can be used to trade.

I am not talking about options trading, just simple buying and selling of stocks.

I saw your objections and chose not to respond to them 😀 but, I will make one response

The paying of conversion fees (if applicable) are factored into the decision making process. Also, there's the opportunity cost of your own personal time to consider.

Day trading is a special breed. I view it (at a high level) as the same as pouring over multiple weekly store sales ads waiting to pounce on a deal. Day traders have different goals than long term investors. Different strokes for different folks.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whatever device you are using to post here can be used to trade.

correct. it is a desktop computer. i have no plans on carrying it around. ;)

I am not talking about options trading, just simple buying and selling of stocks.

I saw your objections and chose not to respond to them 😀 but, I will make one response

The paying of conversion fees (if applicable) are factored into the decision making process. Also, there's the opportunity cost of your own personal time to consider.

Day trading is a special breed. I view it (at a high level) as the same as pouring over multiple weekly store sales ads waiting to pounce on a deal. Day traders have different goals than long term investors. Different strokes for different folks.

all true. :) it's just not anything i've ever seen as something i wanted to get into. i do have plenty of programming skills and knowledge but my basic conservative approach just doesn't let me sleep very well if i think about putting a lot of money into some kind of automated system. i know that the companies, mutual funds and brokerage have their own automatic stuff happening and i'm content to let them keep doing that as they are - that is good enough for me. :)

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use both long and short term investments. I haven’t exactly been thinking much about individual investments lately so I just been investing in mutual funds

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
with recent market gyrations it should have given you an idea if you are (or were) too exposed to the market for your own comfort or abilities to withstand it.

a common practice is to rebalance a portfolio on some kind of fixed schedule so you don't end up feeling whiplashed by every market change.

another approach is more fire and forget, where you invest a set amount every paycheck, month or whatever schedule so that you in effect buy more shares when the market goes down and less when the market goes up. so this acts as a type of market averaging through time.

my own method has been to do research on companies i'd like to buy as a regular activity so i always have candidates on my list to buy when they get within a certain range and i set aside so much of my earned income for that so when a market correction does come along or another buying opportunity i'm ready to go. there are times when i've talked myself out of making certain buys because i felt it might have been the wrong time and then later i kick myself because it was a good investment and i'd have done well by it. you can't win them all, but it's nice when things mostly work out.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
recent months have been interesting. :)

i don't consider this a bad thing or even unusual. i've been in the market and investing for nearly 50 years. there's been a ton of events, rounds of inflation, financial crisis, etc. that have happened and all of them have been opportunities and learning experiences.