Financial Budgeting In Relationships - What works for you?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
1) Who is more "frugal", you or your spouse?
I would say he is. I try to shop around for the best bargains, and we both barter when we can, but I am quicker to spend money when I find a good deal than he is.

2) Has the unbalance caused any issues (small or big) in your relationship?
Only on the few occassions when I bought something and he wanted the money for something else. That doesn't happen too often. If the bills are paid and necessities are purchased first, I can usually buy whatever I want and he doesn't care.

3) Do you both have the same financial goals, e.g., retire young, live out in the country, be debt free, big vacations, or simple living?
The only bills we really have are phone, electric, internet, and insurance. All adds up to about $200 a month, give or take. Our goals are pretty much the same, live simple and acquire livestock for personal use. (ok, we have the goats and poultry, just missing a cow or two!)

4) Have you tried to budget? If yes or no, why?
We sit down together each month and figure out what our bills are but that is about all the budgeting we do.

5) If you have tried to budget, what has and/or has not worked for you? We are on a very fixed income so budgeting doesn't work to well for us. We pay the bills, buy necessities, and then if there is something left over, we buy whatever we need to either repair something, improve the place, or something related to my poultry that could assist me in generating more income from them.