Find of the century!! (for me anyway)

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
yep cow poop works too. The old timers around here go into the fields and gather dried cow pies and till them into the garden in the spring. The local stock yard gets 5 bucks a scoop for fresh poop.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So are yall saying that my horse poops gold?! Man all this time I figured he just ate gold, didn't reciprocate!

:gig

Unfortunately he lives at a boarding barn, but when he comes home everyone thinks he is the cats meow and banks on his "gifts". Mmm, horse poo to scratch, roll in and eat!

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
firem3 said:
yep cow poop works too. The old timers around here go into the fields and gather dried cow pies and till them into the garden in the spring. The local stock yard gets 5 bucks a scoop for fresh poop.
You can mow over the dried "patties" w/ a bagging mower and that makes it easier to apply evenly to the garden.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
ENVIOUS!!!!

I've actually gone so far to make up "I want your poop" fliers to post at the feed stores. Got a couple of laughs, but no manure yet :p
If you weren't so far away, I'd tell you to come and get all you want.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
firem3 said:
I have been hauling composted horse manure and stall bedding ALL day and have barely scratched the surface. The pile is at a horse vet/equine center near me. The manure has been composting for a couple of years and the pile is as large as my house and did i mention it is free and i can have as much as I want!! :weee :ya
I have a question...does getting manure from animals that might be sick affect the compost? I am thinking this might be a viable option for me, but I don't know...

Also, does anyone know if the weed killers used on most pastures...does that show up in the manure?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
CJW said:
firem3 said:
I have been hauling composted horse manure and stall bedding ALL day and have barely scratched the surface. The pile is at a horse vet/equine center near me. The manure has been composting for a couple of years and the pile is as large as my house and did i mention it is free and i can have as much as I want!! :weee :ya
I have a question...does getting manure from animals that might be sick affect the compost? I am thinking this might be a viable option for me, but I don't know...

Also, does anyone know if the weed killers used on most pastures...does that show up in the manure?
I've used manure from sick animals b4. Never had a problem.

As to the weed killers, it would depend on how quickly they allowed the animals back in the pasture, and what they ate. I've never used weed killer in pastures, so that's not a problem for me.

Latest posts