Finds at the produce stand

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I passed the local produce stand; they were shutting down for the season. Got several bales of hay suitable for chicken litter or mulch, and a half a truck bed of various humungous squashes that were left over from Halloween! Also got some markdown Halloween potholders, towels, and small bowls at Dollar General.

478_100_2469.jpg

Gray hubbard squash, banana squash, and various others

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Great find. Even if you can't find anything else to do with all those squash they will feed the chickens for a day or two. Will you keep any of the seeds?

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, i'm going to save seeds from each type. Tried a banana squash with the chickens, they ate a litle but weren't terribly enthused. I have a post in the kitchen section for recipe ideas. There are some out there, mostly as a substitute for pumpkin.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I am not a major squash or pumpkin eater. I usually just feed them to the chickens. Give yours a day or two. Chickens can be funny about new foods sometimes.
I have found that most squash are good cooked on the grill or in the oven. I will usually scoop out the middle and make a boat. Mix what I scooped out (minus the seeds) with some ground sausage, pack it in the boat and bake or grill until tender. Sprinkle with cheese or cheeses of your choice. I have also added cooked brown rice to the mix.
Since you got such a good deal on these now is the time to experiment with lots of recipes and play around with the different taste to decide which ones you might want to plant for next year.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
me & the gals started a terrific thread in the recipe section on squash and pumpkin recipes. You will need all the recipes you can get from the looks of that haul! Good job!
:thumbsup