Fire ants in my compost pile

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Help! I went out to check on the compost pile today and to add some egg shells to the mix. When I grabbed a stick to put them down in the middle I found them. A huge ant bed has formed in my compost pile. What do I do?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
DE...it will depend on humidity, and may not work right away but it will eventually kill them from what I have read.

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One would think that if you disturbed the nest enough, they would move.

I just did a web search and found out that if you disturb the pile and keep it really wet, they won't like it and will move. Makes sense, as they need the right conditions for their eggs and larvae. Someone also said that coffee grounds will make them move as well, but I can't say how much or anything. Also, make sure that you are not trying to compost anything that ants like, like sweet things.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'd destroy the nest, then soak them down. Keep it that way until they are dead or moved. Whichever comes first :D :p

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've read that uncooked grits, rice and cornmeal will expand once the ants eat the stuff, which will kill them.

Recently read about using boiling water, poured over the nest, repeatedly to kill them and it won't hurt the pile, either.

Also, turning the pile frequently will help keep them away as they don't like their nest to be disturbed.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What I understand about feeding the cornmeal is this...they will carry it back to the nest and will store it for the pupa that are hatching out. All ants will partake of the stored foods and corn is not a part of their normal diet, particularly in high concentrations. As with any animal that eats a high concentration of corn that is not accustomed or built for it, it causes corrosion of the bowel linings and even perforations. This allows bowel contaminates to enter the blood stream and even the body cavity, causing death.

When ants of any kind invade my house, I have only to place a small jar lid filled with cornmeal on my countertop and wait. Within about 3 days I no longer see the ants. I leave it there all spring and summer, refreshing it now and again, so that any foragers or scouts out looking for food and to establish a new nesting area will find it and distribute it to their nest mates.

I've never seen any other method work so well. I told one of my patients about this(a very old gentleman) who was planning on hiring an exterminator for his home. I asked him to try this first, as he was on a limited income. When next I visited, I asked about his ants.

He smiled real slow and said, "I ain't got no ants" and winked at me.

I said, "How long after you put out the cornmeal?"

He replied, "Three days, just like ya tole me!", gave a dry chuckle and just shook his head.

I laughed at him and said, "Just when you thought you'd heard it all, huh?"

He just nodded his head and laughed!