Fire Cider Tonic

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi snapshot!

We couldn't find fresh cayenne so I used the ground cayenne. Since you only use 1 teaspoon of cayenne per quart, the 1.75 oz. jar will make a lot of batches.

We couldn't find the horseradish root locally, so I held off putting my tonic together for a few days as we had to make a trip to Batesville (it's about 40 minutes away so we don't go there unless we need to go to Home Depot) and found it at the WallyWorld Super Center. I grabbed the largest root that they had so I could make a couple batches.

The only horseradish I could find locally was the sauce (horseradish and mayo(?)). If I could have found it grated in vinegar I would have tried using it.

If you can get ground horseradish, I'd definately give it a try. I am huge on experimenting. ;)

Hi yourbadd!

I gave mine a shake whenever I remembered to. Sometimes it was daily, sometimes it sat for a few days before I remembered to give it a shake (out of sight-out of mind). ;)

It's pretty potent after the 8 week steep but I can still sip it straight and I am a huge wimp on spicy stuff! :lol: You can dilute it with tomato juice or water to make it easier to get down, too.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I'll try making some too! Won't it have an indefinite shelf life since it's in vinegar?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi rebecca!

Checked on the shelf-life as I wasn't quite sure.

Bragg's ACV site states:

8 - What is the shelf life of Apple Cider Vinegar?

ACV has an FDA required "official" shelf life of three to five years after the bottling date (found on the bottle), however, experience has shown that the product is safe, usable and effective for an indefinite period if kept out of direct sunlight. [BACK]

9 - Where is the expiration date printed?

The Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar expiration date is printed on the upper portion of the bottle, at the shoulder and neck taper area, see photo below. The lower line of the 2 contains the expiration date. The upper line contains the 'lot' number for the manufaturer reference and the time, in 24 hour format, that it was bottled. Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has a shelf life of 5 years, although due to its nature, Bragg ACV can be safetly used for many years after the expiration date.
From the Vinegar Institute site:

How Long Does Vinegar Last?

The Vinegar Institute conducted studies to find out and confirmed that vinegars shelf life is almost indefinite. Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period of time. And, while some changes can be observed in other types of vinegars, such as color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change. The product can still be used and enjoyed with confidence.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I came up with another way of taking this tonic...adding it to certain food after it has been cooked and I have it on my plate.

I've done this the past 2 nights and so far, so good. The first time I added it to shrimp stir-fry, last night I dribbled it on my cornbread stuffing.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My tonic has been brewing since January 16th and I decided to give it a taste since I've been hacking and coughing for over a week now...gotta say, wow!! The initial vinegar taste was awful but it quickly dissipated (like in seconds) and the burn in the back of my throat was wonderful. It wasn't too hot but enough that several minutes later I can still feel it. I only drank a tablespoon of it and think I'll need to mix it with something to make it a little more palatable.

I got distracted on a Skype call to my in-laws and it's been over 2 hours since I started typing this post...and my cough is gone!! The congestion I felt in my throat and upper chest has lessened and I haven't coughed!! Can't wait till the tonic has brewed a full 6-8 weeks as I'm calling this concoction a winner!!!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I'm still trying to find horseradish. At our local grocery store and Walmart I only find horseradish sauce. Maybe Kroger. I thought Walmart would have the root but no.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Can you find grated horseradish? Normally, it won't be in the same spot as the horseradish sauce. (At least not around here.)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you have to refrigerate it after you strain it and are ready to drink it?

CLEAR SINUS

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

MY SINUS ARE SHOT. THE ALLERGY LEVEL DOWN SOUTH IS INSANITY and I suffer oh so bad.

If this clears sinus I am going to get my ingredients this week and get this stuff brewing.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Can you find grated horseradish? Normally, it won't be in the same spot as the horseradish sauce. (At least not around here.)
Where would it be, Deb? I looked with the sauces and then in the veggie area.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
snapshot said:
Denim Deb said:
Where would it be, Deb? I looked with the sauces and then in the veggie area.
It would be in the refrigerator section. I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I'm thinking near the sour cream and all that kind of stuff. I'd ask. Most stores carry it that way because many use it in cooking and the Jews use it as a bitter herb for Passover.

Latest posts