Fire Cider Tonic

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Aha!!!!! I will find it the next time I go to Walmart!!!! Thanks Deb!!! I know I have seen saurkraut in that area but have never seen the horseradish!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Do you have to refrigerate it after you strain it and are ready to drink it?

CLEAR SINUS

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

MY SINUS ARE SHOT. THE ALLERGY LEVEL DOWN SOUTH IS INSANITY and I suffer oh so bad.

If this clears sinus I am going to get my ingredients this week and get this stuff brewing.
Hey FC,

This doesn't need to be refrigerated after it's been strained. I keep it down in one of the lower cabinets...it's cool and in the dark. ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks
I printed out the list of ingredients

it DOES sound tough to choke down tho :sick we shall see...but if it improves sinus....you bet I will swallow it down

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep, after the 8 weeks I have a hard time getting it down straight but I figure it's a small price to pay for clear sinuses and no colds! ;)

I've had a couple of times where I'd wake up feeling "sniffly", sip the tonic after getting some food in me and feeling fine in no time! :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
snapshot said:
Aha!!!!! I will find it the next time I go to Walmart!!!! Thanks Deb!!! I know I have seen saurkraut in that area but have never seen the horseradish!
Don't know about in Wal-Mart cuz I've never shopped for it there, but I know in my grocery store, it's not near the sauerkraut.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yourbadd said:
My tonic has been brewing since January 16th and I decided to give it a taste since I've been hacking and coughing for over a week now...gotta say, wow!! The initial vinegar taste was awful but it quickly dissipated (like in seconds) and the burn in the back of my throat was wonderful. It wasn't too hot but enough that several minutes later I can still feel it. I only drank a tablespoon of it and think I'll need to mix it with something to make it a little more palatable.

I got distracted on a Skype call to my in-laws and it's been over 2 hours since I started typing this post...and my cough is gone!! The congestion I felt in my throat and upper chest has lessened and I haven't coughed!! Can't wait till the tonic has brewed a full 6-8 weeks as I'm calling this concoction a winner!!!
*My bolding*

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! :D

Found another way to make it more palatable this evening:

Heated half a cup of water in the microwave, poured that into a mug with maybe a quarter teaspoon of honey. Got the honey dissolved then added a tablespoon of the fire cider and drank it when it was cool enough. I got the "spreading warmth" that brandy will give you but none of the heat from the tonic. ;)

Can ya tell I'm doing everything to avoid buying store-bought tomato juice? That was my next option but I'm really trying to hold off on that.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I will have to try that Dawn! I was going to buy tomato juice and try it but forgot to pick it up while out yesterday. I like the added boost of honey.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wish you all were near me. I have tons of fresh tomatoe juice put up in the pantry. MIL makes it by the boatload we have so many maters each summer.

Thanks for the tips on how to get this down :)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, FC, I wish I was closer...I'd gladly barter some work around your place for some home made 'mater juice! ;)

It got hot so early this past garden season and then stayed that way that our gardens were a bust. I pulled my mater plants (so I could get that bed prepped for my garlic) and then it cooled off enough for them to bloom and set fruit! :barnie Mom had a few plants over at her house and we atleast had a few tomatoes up until just after Thanksgiving.

We'll be going tomato plant crazy this year in hopes of home-canned sauce and juice. :fl

Latest posts