Fire Preparedness Discussion

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hope this isn't a thread hijack. :hide

We have spent the last few months amping up our ability to evacuate quickly in case of wildfire (the Slave Lake AB fire helped to spur us on--wildfires completely decimated a town of 7000 a few hours north of us back in May, and we live in a suburban neighborhood on the edge of the city next to forested and grassland areas). The sunsets have been very red and the air smoky some days these past couple of weeks due to wildfires in the area and one never knows.

We have a grab list posted inside the front door coat closet of what to grab out of the closet (72-hour kit, emergency contact list, binder of important papers, passports, box of photo negatives and digital photo backup hard drive), the pet carrier is in the main floor laundry room, and everyone has a 72-hour kit at work/school (we get winter blizzards and there may be a time when everyone is stuck and can't get home so everyone has food, water, and basic supplies) plus the one here at the house, and we have the usual emergency kit in the car (first aid kit, basic tools, winter items).

The 72-hour kit at school is something that perhaps others don't do (and may not be feasible for younger kids) but our 2 teenagers each have 3 neoprene pencil cases in a drawstring gym strip bag in their lockers at their schools containing:

72-Hour Emergency Kit: Flashlight/batteries, Hand-warmers, Gloves, Toque, Socks, Matches, Candle, First Aid kit, Tylenol, Emergency blanket, Sewing kit, Duct Tape, Notebook/pen, Deck of cards, City map, $20 in coins, Emergency contact list

6 Water bottles and a 72-Hour Emergency Food Kit: 6 Granola Bars, 3 Trail Mix, 6 Fruit Leather, 3 cans Pork & Beans, 3 Fruit Cups, small Stainless Steel Bowl, Spoon, Emergency contact list

72-Hour Personal Hygiene Kit: Toothbrush, Bar of Soap, Washcloth Tablets, Sanitary Pads, individually wrapped Wet Wipes, Hand Sanitizer, Q-tips, Tissues, Emergency contact list

Each kid has an Emergency Contact list in each of the 3 kits as well as in their wallets with phone numbers for all family members including our out of town contact so they can check in either by cell phone or school land line. The bag 'o stuff fits easily into their school backpacks should they need to take it anywhere, and they also always have a change of clothing (gym strip) in their gym lockers plus whatever coat/jacket/outdoor layers they wore to school that day so we feel they are pretty prepared to go it alone for a while.

Hubs has a zippered nylon bag containing similar items (slightly different food choices plus a hand-crank radio, work gloves and basic tools) in his desk drawer at work.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Not a hijack at all Moolie, I am interested in what others are doing for this kind of preparedness, not just myself.

Here is a photo of that tree I was discussing earlier, the fire hazard.

1407_the_tree.jpg

In this photo, in order to get the whole size of the tree, I had to back up so far that you see branches of other trees that are much closer and quite a distance from the house, more like 100 feet from it, I have a row of tall pines that you are seeing the overhanging branches from. We are not nervous that this tree, which is made up of many small trees, will fall on the house, but we are afraid if we chopped it down, it would. Its branches are within five feet of our roof.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SD, we had a tree removed from our yard at our last house, that was old and in danger of falling and hitting the house.

The tree removal guys bucked off all the limbs starting at the bottom and working towards the top, then bucked off 2 foot sections of the tree starting at the top and letting them fall onto the limbs previously removed as he worked his way back down to the stump.

Very efficient, and if you have a friend who has cork/faller's boots with heel spikes and a chainsaw (or can hire a tree removal company), that thing could be down in about half an hour :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You think? It is actually about 9-13 trees, we cannot actually count, and several vines grow up it as well.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our tree was about the same height, and I was amazed at how quickly and safely he brought it down.

The multiple trunks may make it more complicated, but if there is one main thick trunk I bet it can be done this way :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I know from a distance it just looks like a tree, but it is a collection of small tall slender trees.

Also, imagine how ugly our house will be without it in front of it. On the opposite side, the ivy has grown up around it and there are azaleas and a walkway, and a very old porch. I go and sit under this "tree" when it is hot, so while it scares me, I would also be sad to see it go.

But this week with our 90 degree temps and fires all over, I wish it were gone, no doubt.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
First of all you want defensible space. If fire overcomes your defensible space then you need to follow your preparedness and escape plan. Lots of good suggestions have been made already. Then worry about your animals. Yeah, this might sound cruel but I feel a human life is worth more than an animal.

Take at look at the Firewise web site.

http://www.firewise.org/

You said you live next to a forest. If it is public land like a state forest or national forest talk to the people on the forest, especially what might be called the fire management officer (FMO) about the wildland urban interface (WUI) and what is being done. Talk to your state forestry people. There might be ways around the deed restrictions.

Stay abreast of the situation. If a fire starts near you you might not have much reaction time.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thanks for that link, what a cool interactive website. I see a lot of problems with our property both in design and maintenance. That site makes it fun to learn. I wish I could mow the lawn with just a click like that virtual home. :D

We back up to forested state land and have empty lots on either side of pure forest, our own property is more than 3/4 forest. Directly across from us was recently clear cut, but other than that we are completely surrounded by trees. Our local government would probably love for it to burn, there is currently a huge fight going on locally regarding the electric company being allowed to annex the state land behind us and our property as well. I don't think they would just let it burn, but it would solve their big problem, which is that many of us on this side of the road do not want to sell for one reason or another (eminant domain). I would not count on any big push to save it happening by anyone.

We have a very short window luckily when things are this dry. Last year, it didn't even get this dry. What is scary is that huge fires are burning not far from us, in areas of forest that resemble this area almost exactly. I'll be glad when we get back to our normal pattern of rain.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Thanks for that link, what a cool interactive website. I see a lot of problems with our property both in design and maintenance. That site makes it fun to learn. I wish I could mow the lawn with just a click like that virtual home. :D

We back up to forested state land and have empty lots on either side of pure forest, our own property is more than 3/4 forest. Directly across from us was recently clear cut, but other than that we are completely surrounded by trees. Our local government would probably love for it to burn, there is currently a huge fight going on locally regarding the electric company being allowed to annex the state land behind us and our property as well. I don't think they would just let it burn, but it would solve their big problem, which is that many of us on this side of the road do not want to sell for one reason or another (eminant domain). I would not count on any big push to save it happening by anyone.

We have a very short window luckily when things are this dry. Last year, it didn't even get this dry. What is scary is that huge fires are burning not far from us, in areas of forest that resemble this area almost exactly. I'll be glad when we get back to our normal pattern of rain.
My philosophy is that there is no such thing as normal when it comes to climate or weather, just average. I also think that we are going to see a lot more variation from average.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We had a 20-degree drop in temperature for our predicted high today. From 92 yesterday to 72 today. They are saying for the Mt. Hood fire that is a very good thing. We also have a cloud sitting on our mountain this morning and dew on the ground, so it looks so far like we are indeed getting that break in the weather they need.

*says a little prayer for Goldendale, WA and Mt. Hood area.