firem3 They call me "Hoss"

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
there ya go firem3.. discourage everyone away from alabama with tales of gators ;) that'll solve the crowdedness.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
firem3 said:
yeah it is 4.2 for some reason Ive always said 4 and a half? any way you've fired one? its awesome aint it. We did a traversing fire on a ridge at a firing range about dusk on a day it was kinda stormy, we were on the third traverse and was firing an HE round, I had just fired the round and it was maybe a second or a second and a half down range and it was struck by a lightning bolt and blew up!!!scared the living crap out of us. it was a long range shot so it seemed like the apc was about to flip when we fired it cause of the charge we had set on it, so when it blew so close.... we packed it in that day. True Story, I'll swear on a Bible!!
Wow.

I was usually in between the guns and the impact area. Both artillery and mortars.

Did have a few interesting experiences. When I was a battery commander one of our rounds with a VT (variable time) fuse detonated prematurely, just a few hundred meters after leaving the tube. The subsequent investigation determined that even if everything was down wrong it shouldn't have happened. Faulty fuse.

Once when I was evaluating a 60mm mortar section they got to double loading. The round leaving the tube knocked a round out of the mortar crewman's hand. It landed a little short and the fins cut the guys hand. That was a close one.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I cant imagine double stacking a 4-duce they are lucky it didnt rupture the tube or something...dang!!
of course the 4.2 i fired didnt have fins which was good i guess, dont know if youre familiar but it was rifled for stability. as awesome as they were the best time i ever had in the military was a training mission where i was with the cav. scouts as f.o. it was a batallion size mission where we brought all guns to bear on a target area. the weapons included 4.2 mortar, tow missles, air cav and small arms and crew serv. arms. some stuff got tore up that day ;)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Lots of noise, smoke and dust. Hooah.

I should have explained myself a little better. Two crewman were loading, one from each side of the tube. Supposed to wait for the round to leave the tube before you hang and drop the next one. Oops, didn't wait long enough.

Another horror story. Battalion of 105mm with one battery of 155mm doing direct fire all at once. Somehow two rounds collided or a round didn't clear the ground. The basepart of the round came back and almost took off a guys arm. Medevac time. I think the battalion commander got a new job shortly after that.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dang i bet that stung a tad. I don't have anymore stories about the military, I didn't stay in long enough i guess. Yes i do, I do have a story about a DI i had. You remember the long ride to the training area and the apprehension and nervousness of it all, well i aint no tiny fella 6'2" 250 then and now, when we drove up to the training area and got off the cattle truck the first time I was greeted by this monster of a Samoan beast screaming get the f down in my ear as he bent down (he had to be 6'6" if he was an inch), he slapped me in the back of the head and me and a duffel bag went face first to the saw dust pit. This beast held the base power lifting record had just got back from a 500 mile road march across Europe and was pissed at me for getting off the bus to slowly. his arms were so large he had his BDU top custom built. he had to have triangle pieces sewn into the bicep and forearm areas of his sleeves and could only roll them to his mid forearm. i saw him cut up with another DI one day and he laughed.....it sent chills up my spine, he laughed like he had just eaten a baby all evil and demented. his name was Suanami Tuatasi.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
that sounds a bit frightening and intemdating... hey have i told you thank you? if not THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and how bout that lsu game?

ETA i cant even think of how to spell intemdating, intemadating, intenemadating... grr wish i had spell check..

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i cant watch Bama play it makes me to mad/nervous. I am glad to see bama beat LSU but now they have to play Florida in the sec championship game. I hope we win but Florida is tough so I definitely wont be watching that one, if i do ill probably have a heart attack.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I think Bama has a good chance. I will be rootin' for them (anybody but Florida).

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
since were talking football, did y'all see the LSU low life's burning a Sabin likeness on TV? I know its football and a huge rivalry but that is a scum bag, third world no class way to show disrespect for any person. Any one involved in that should be cane'd and put in jail. I don't like LSU much but come on guys ...way to far.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
firem3 said:
since were talking football, did y'all see the LSU low life's burning a Sabin likeness on TV? I know its football and a huge rivalry but that is a scum bag, third world no class way to show disrespect for any person. Any one involved in that should be cane'd and put in jail. I don't like LSU much but come on guys ...way to far.
I didn't see it, but I agree with ya. Very poor taste. That's just a personal threat to me.