Fireplace Cooking

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Still researching, and it's so much fun! :p
I am still looking at wood cookstoves, but, I am very curious about this also, as I would be able to go either way.....

How many people have a fireplace in their kitchen?

Do you use your fireplace to cook meals in?

I have explained to my Darling Fiance' that:

1.) Propane is sky high to buy, and I'm trying to find ways to cut out unnecessary usage of electricity, once we move.
2.) Why have a fireplace in another room (den, living room, etc.), in use, and using a stove that uses gas or electric in the kitchen cooking a meal? He agreed that doing so would be a waste of energy and money.
3.) We both agreed that, if it is feasable in more ways than financially, it could be cheaper in the longer run to have a fireplace in the kitchen.

Now, I have a Q - Which is more energy effecient and cheaper?
A - building a large fireplace to cook in :fl lol
B - buying a wood cookstove

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Propane is expensive?

:ep

I had no idea lol ours is super cheap, we run a propane fireplace insert and a our stove off it.

Now oil... THATS expensive, geez... we don't have a woodburner yet so we run on forced air oil heating in the winter. Yikes, super spendy.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
scan0001a.jpg

I liked our wood cook stove on the farm, I have a fire place now, not a walk in one, just a simple fire place used for heat and looks.

Can't make, well can too if I wanna dutch oven instead of slow cooker, keep the fire all day....

Wood cook stove verses walk in fire place? Wood cook stove.

Get one like my Mom had with an oven, makes great egg custard pies and apple turn overs!!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Wow, I want a stove that makes pies and turnovers all by itself !!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
It is what it is isn't it? Unless your the host and having a guest appear and they should answer right about now......

I don't mind insults, they are what they are, aren't they? But I am candid, and so it it is what it is... isn't it?

C I told yuns it makes no sense....

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Insults? Did I insult you? Wow, that wasn't even close to being what I was doing.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
For fireplace cooking, this place has some nice stuff. I would love to be able to afford one of their rotisserie spits for pig roasting.

Spitjack

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
For fireplace cooking, this place has some nice stuff. I would love to be able to afford one of their rotisserie spits for pig roasting.

Spitjack
That's a nice insert if you already have a wood rated chimney, but sure does look good otherwise. However the pig may disagree.