Firewood ?'s

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do a base of newspaper and then make a log cabin with ceder shingles broken up. ( I do a few shingling jobs a yr and get enough to burn in the winter) Then I add kindling. I mainly burn birch and oak. During the day to cut down the chill I burn anything. All but plywood. :) I try and burn a lot of smaller branches and odd pieces of the tree. Just a good way of getting rid of the odd stuff left of from splitting wood. I also make tons of kindling. Boxes and bxes of it. Makes life easy in the big freeze. Just mnake sure your wood is seasoned. This is another reason I cut logs donw to small kindling. Seasons faster in the fun. Good luck.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used hurricane felled trees if at all possible. I've used oak, willow, maple, hackberry and elm from memory. We have used broken furniture/house fixtures, just to not have them wasted. People with fireplaces seem to think some of the wood we use isn't suitable for burning, but they forget that the smell won't come in our houses as bad.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use a mix of Douglas fir, pine and madrone. Some black locust mixed in there, and we have huge oak rounds out in the pasture we need to tackle this coming summer. For kindling dh splits up pallets and then just uses the hatchet to split them down smaller. We've got a huge kindling pile outside the door. Pallets are free for the taking around here.

Latest posts