First dewberries of the season!

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I didn't realize the dewberries were ready! I saw a man on the side of the road yesterday picking a wild patch and decided I better check my own fence at home. This morning I was surprised to see how many were ripe already! MMMMMMM! We've had enough rain this season to make them plump, sweet and juicy!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So far, it's too early to pick anything around here. I'll be so glad when I can.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We had them for dessert tonight...dewberries and real cream. So sweet and fresh. Blackberries are in full bloom and will ripen about 2 weeks after the dewberries. Mayhaws are real green right now, but will ripen pretty soon. I'm working on putting a catch net on a frame under the two mayhaw trees so I don't have to scrabble around on my hands and knees like a demented squirrel. I'm about to pop a gut right now...I don't usually eat dessert right after supper, but I just couldn't pass up those fresh dewberries. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds so good! Last year i spent hours picking dewberries and blackberries. This year, I don't know if I'll be able to do that. I can't go off and leave my mom very long at a time.

I would like to see you do your best demented squirrel imitation. :lol:

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
baymule said:
I can't go off and leave my mom very long at a time.

I would like to see you do your best demented squirrel imitation. :lol:
I've been in your shoes. I don't know what your mother's issues are, but my father had Alzheimers. We took care of him at home and although I enjoyed the time I spent with him (challenges and all), I sure didn't get much done. The phrase "herding cats" comes to mind.:)

As for the demented squirrel imitation...well, all I can say is... :weee

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:barnie we just got rid of SNOW!!!!! Spring is way late this year around here!