First Egg and Last Cucuzzas

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We got our first egg from the new girls today, and picked our last Cucuzzas from the vines. There are a 8 - 10 little ( 6 to 10 inches long) Cucuzzas growing, but I don't believe that they'll beat the next frost. We also still have one large Cucuzza, about three feet long, still growing that we will let keep going so that we can collect the seeds, but it will be too hard to eat.

40864_1405653873253_1589608362_30914608_4811527_n.jpg

67748_1405653753250_1589608362_30914607_57562_n.jpg

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Someone gave me a huge one of those squashes...please tell me what to do with it! Fast! It is scaring me! :p

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:pop
waiting very patiently. someone gave me one of them cuzzamadigis and i want to know how to prepare it and preserve it. I got the seeds out of it today and there were a bazillion of them, but this thing was ginormous.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
These are my favorite Cucuzza recipes:

New Orleans Style Cucuzza Casserole

Peel and chunk the vegetable, and boil in salted water until soft. Drain very well.

In a big, heavy bottomed skillet with sufficient oil, fry some onions, garlic, bell peppers, celery.

Add the cooked cucuzza.

Add some Cajun blend seasoning. (I prefer Tony Chacheres)

Add a 1/2 pound of raw peeled shrimp* and stir it around until the shrimp turned pink.

Mix in two cups of Italian Seasoned breadcrumbs and a cup of grated Parmesan cheese.

Put in a greased casserole, top with more breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, dot with butter and bake until the top is lightly brown.

*Ham or sausage can be substituted for the shrimp.

To Fry Small Cucuzzas:

Peel squash and cut into French fry potato shapes.

Dip into mixture of beaten egg and milk and roll in mixture of fish fry and flour.

Fry until golden brown, being careful not to over cook.

To Stew:

Peel approximately 2 pounds of Cucuzza squash and dice into 1/2 inch cubes.

In oiled skillet , combine small chopped onions, 1 clove chopped garlic, saut 2 minutes.

Add 15 ounces of can stewed tomatoes and summer 4 minutes.

Add Cucuzza squash and cook till tender. (approximately 30 min.).

Season to taste. Serve plain over thin spaghetti.

You can also add your favorite meat.

To Stuff:

Cut length wise in middle and scoop out seeds and center of squash.

Fill with your favorite meat and rice stuffing.

Top with stewed tomatoes and season to taste.

Bake in covered casserole approximately 45 min.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Congrats on the egg!!!!
Thank you! Two more today. :) I can't wait until all the girls start laying. I already have enough people interested in buying eggs that I won't be able to fill all of the orders. We had only planned to use them ourselves and give away the rest, but the little extra income will help with the cost of the feed.