First time purchacing 1/2 hog and helping process this weekend

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
:woot :ep Well my best friend who does this every year and last year told her I want in just called and they are doing 2 large hog and wanted to know if I was still interested. HECK YAHHH!!! :celebrate :celebrate

I asked if I could come help and she was like well we only have the one saw. I said well can I come watch it being done. And she laughed and told her dh that she was worried about me lol (in a funny way) many yrs ago I would NEVER have even wanted to watch let alone help. :sick
I have skinned and processed my own deer for years, but
Now I am butchering my own chickens and eventually my own rabbits (haven't butchered them yet) and now I am moving on to hogs and eventually cows.
My new favorite show is Kill It Cook it Eat it.

I believe I am freaking all my friends and relative out. :barnie And even my DH has been shocked and surprised in the change in me over time. Last summer I butchered my first chicken from killing to cooking by myself for the first time. He never thought I would be able to kill my chickens so he was going to do it "for" me. I said no I raised them I am doing it in my way (killing cone verses wringing their neck which I find unbearable) My parents use to do it that way and I had to be the chicken chaser and I will not have any part of that ever again or subject my DD12 to that. Not that it is wrong but just not the way I want to do it.

But if shtf guess where everyone will run. and it will be my way or the highway. :smack

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wish I could be there too!!!! Lucky duck!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My dad and I butchered together and we only had one saw. There is a lot of knife work and a lot of wrapping to do, so there will be a way to make yourself useful! You go, girl! :cool:

Just made up a mess of collards and some over-sized green beans with our own home-cured salt pork from our pigs. It is so amazingly wonderfully delicious!

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow that's awesome, I wish I could join you guys!

your livin the dream

:D

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
And to find out it is 100% antibiotic/hormone free and organic!!!!
:drool
Eating some fresh and I mean just cut off the hog hours ago fresh....pork chops, YUMMM!!!! :ya