First try with a pressure canner... Question??

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I think you are right about the vegetable oil. I am sorry. The All American that I have just uses Vaseline around the rim of pot and lid for the seal.

I agree with the oldies are goodies idea. :)

I assure you however, the All American that I bought new is just as good ... dare I say - better (!) than the old canners I have used. Then again you pay the price (literally) for the good quality.

Most things nowadays are made to break. How else can they keep you buying more!?

That is one reason I like my Lodge cast iron. Another thing that is actually made to last!

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Lodge? You could dip into the wonderful world of Griswold or Wagner... ;)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Griswald!!!!!! My mom had TWO Griswald dutch ovens...I desperately want to get my hands on one..................

Sorry, off topic :hide

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Griswold all the way!!! I have both Griswold and Lodge, and I SOOOO prefer the Griswold. Of course, I use both, since I only have a tiny frying pan and a round griddle in the Griswold, and my big Lodge frying pan is used often. These pans are the secret to the best gravy on the planet. And my little Griswold is the best non-stick egg pan and it lives on my stove, getting only a dry wipe for cleaning. I look for Griswold stuff anytime I get to an antique shop.

So is Wagner just as good? Griswold has a smoother finish than Lodge, that's what I love about it.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have a good source for Lodge. Where do you find the Griswold and the Wagner?

Yes we are off topic ... but still cooking!

I have lots of cast iron including several sizes of skillet, wok, griddle, dutch oven, waffle maker and spider and more!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can only find it at garage sales and antique shops. I got my little fry pan for $15 at an antique shop and my griddle at a tag sale years ago, can't remember how much, but the older lady was so happy that a younger woman would actually use it......and I have! Grilled cheese sandwiches and French toast galore have come off that griddle over the years.

There are tons of antique shops around here, but I go in one maybe once a year. The temptations are too great for me.... :rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I NEVER see good cast iron around here used, with the exception of those corn stick pans. Guess I will have to stick with Lodge.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Lodge is still wonderful, but if you ever see a Griswold, grab it, even if you have the exact same pan in Lodge. You won't regret it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I look for cast iron every time I go to the good will. My mother still uses all her pans or I would steal them. :D

I did find a little two quart pot once for 6 bucks. I don't know who it's made by. My fry pan and dutch oven are modern Lodge.

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can also score Griswold and Wagner on e-bay, but expect to pay the price for it.

I also have a cheap 12" pan from the goodwill I grabbed for 2.99 one day. The best bart is the seasoning was ink black and in perfect shape. I like to strip cast iron down and re-season from fresh so I know where it's been. However, this cheap pan had been so loved I just had to clean it and let it be. I "almost" grabbed a 15qt enamel pan there the other day, but it was $10 and a little more than I wanted to spend that day.