FIRST TURKEYS HATCHED ON FARM

fair weather chicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
After work yesterday was watering and found a little surprise in turkey run, first bourbon red poult from our own flock. By evening there were 4, 5 had hatched one was stepped on. Hen still sitting on about 6-7 eggs. And still have another hen sitting. She's about a week and a half behind. We are so excited, thought it was going to be a barren year, hens laid 2 clutches earlier but no chicks.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How exciting :weee
We hatch ours in the incubator so I miss the fun of watching it done the natural way.
pics please

fair weather chicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
sad news lost the other 4 to tom stepping on them and my trying to step in when i should have left it to the hen to take care of her own. hopefully i have learned to let the other hen take care of her own and block out the other two.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awww, so sorry your wound up loosing that hatch.:hugs

Mine just hatched a batch, 11 of them! This is the 5th brood this summer and the only hatch! Between skunks taking eggs, and something getting one of my hens, it was a bad summer for poults. Now I think I have Market's in my flock! :hit so I don't know if this batch will make it. The chickens have been everywhere and so have the turkeys. I wanted to get a raised run built for the turkey broods but got out voted. :idunno

Well, good luck on the next hatch!

fair weather chicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
UPDATE 2 nd hen hatched 6 little ones, this time we're a little better off. she's in coop and we are able to keep others separated. only problem was two active wasp nests but we had a cold weekend and were able to dispose of them, also letting momma take care of them. grow little ones. pics soon.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nice! Good luck to you and the poults! I have 1 left out of the 11. I think mom keeps worse track of them than the guineas!

Latest posts