1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out this member patch of earth- Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Fish and Chickens

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Jeffeff95, May 9, 2019.

1. May 9, 2019
    Jeffeff95

Jeffeff95 Lovin' The Homestead

Hey everyone!

Quick background story.
    I was doing some research on what I can feed my chickens and I ran into an article about feeding them raw fish. After reading a few different articles on it, it seems perfectly safe but for some reason it just seems so weird to me lol.
    Here in Manitoba we have suckers that spawn in the ditches during the spring and I always catch a good amount for catfish bait and winter fur trapping. I always have some left overs and it would be a great way to use them.
    I am just wondering if anyone has done this with their flock before, thanks!

2. May 9, 2019
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Super Self-Sufficient

Hi Jeff, I hadn't yet but was planning to. My chickens free range and eat frogs, lizards, small snakes, all kinds of kitchen scraps including every type of meat or fish we toss out.

With such a great source for fish, have you thought of tilling some in to your garden? Fish and fish water and fish guts make fantastic fertilizer.

We have a small creek. We're thinking of damming it up, and making a small pond for raising some fish and ducks... someday...:D

Jeffeff95 likes this.
  3. May 9, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

I haven't done it on purpose - but I noticed chickens eating tadpoles out of shallow puddles last year...I guess they like fish!

Jeffeff95 likes this.
  4. May 9, 2019
    Jeffeff95

Nope can't say I've ever thought of that but thank you for the idea!
    Thats a good idea you have about the creek though, what kind of fish do you think you would raise?

5. May 9, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

When I was a kid, we'd catch a bucket full of suckers and bring them home. My dad would put a sucker, or part of a sucker in the bottom of every hill of corn. That man was an incredible gardener.

I've not fed raw fish to my birds. No reason not to do so, but I find myself wondering how they do with all those sharp bones. My birds won't even touch a mouse.

6. May 9, 2019
    Jeffeff95

I also thought of that, it never said anything in the articles I read about the bones.
    I was thinking maybe filleting them in a similar way I do for when I cut it for catfish bait, but just double check to make sure there is no bones.
    I've done it in the past for my parents dog ranger, he loved fish so I always cut him up 9-10 bags of fish for him.

7. May 9, 2019
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

I read that it makes the eggs taste fishy.

8. May 9, 2019
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Super Self-Sufficient

@Jeffeff95 I live in northern Alabama, so it's have to be something that could handle heat. Probably catfish or tilapia.

9. May 9, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

When we go for all you can eat crab legs, usually a big bunch of us. I bring bags so we can bring chickens and turkeys the leftovers. They peck at the crab leg piles for days :) I don't see why they wouldn't eat fish, chickens are nothing more than yard vulture hussies.

milkmansdaughter likes this.
  10. May 9, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

When we have shrimp, I save the shells for the birds. I cut them up into a small dice so all the birds get a little. As for fish making eggs taste fishy, I think one would need to experiment to see how much fish is too much fish!