fish meal, peanutbutter, etc. for chooks

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
~gd said:
C an you buy/grow black oil Sunflower seeds (not the big striped seeds though they are better than nothing) the black seeds are grown for their oil, all birds seem to love them and both the oil and the protein in the seeds are very high quality. Unprocessed peanuts are great too. Chickens soon learn to shuck them and eat the seeds (this is the feed that made Smithfield ham famous) again they are high in oil and protein and raw unprocessed peanuts are a heck of a lot cheaper than peanut butter. Fish Meal has become more expensive than it used to be but is a great source of protein and minerals that might be exhausted in your local soil I include it my breeding ration and the birds do much better than on the usual corn/soya chicken feed. I haven't seen fish oil in quanity in years but it is loaded with vitamins as well as fats. As far as that goes plain old corn is loaded with fats in the form of oills and is the traditional feed to fatten birds for the table. when us people are eating sweet corn on the cob I give the birds all the cobs and their beaks remove every trace that human teeth have missed. they will fight over them.
Shuck them? That I got to see! My chickens have always eaten them whole. Same with the goats.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
If they do not need worming, then I have no idea.
If they are free ranging and have access to free choice food, then they should be fine.

Can you get us pics to see?

ETA free range birds are different the birds kept in a run. Even my meat birds are a bit leaner then if I was to pen them.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grabbed pics tonight when I threw out a flake of alfalfa, ill upload them tomorrow.

Ill go ahead and do that verm-x just in case the DE isn't working. They gets TONS of boss and wild bird seed (millet) so that along w/ free ranging is why I'm perplexed they are thin. Today we had a mouse hay day. Mice got loose in my house, what the snakes didn't get the chickens did. Mmm, mouse.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
~gd said:
C an you buy/grow black oil Sunflower seeds (not the big striped seeds though they are better than nothing) the black seeds are grown for their oil, all birds seem to love them and both the oil and the protein in the seeds are very high quality. Unprocessed peanuts are great too. Chickens soon learn to shuck them and eat the seeds (this is the feed that made Smithfield ham famous) again they are high in oil and protein and raw unprocessed peanuts are a heck of a lot cheaper than peanut butter. Fish Meal has become more expensive than it used to be but is a great source of protein and minerals that might be exhausted in your local soil I include it my breeding ration and the birds do much better than on the usual corn/soya chicken feed. I haven't seen fish oil in quanity in years but it is loaded with vitamins as well as fats. As far as that goes plain old corn is loaded with fats in the form of oills and is the traditional feed to fatten birds for the table. when us people are eating sweet corn on the cob I give the birds all the cobs and their beaks remove every trace that human teeth have missed. they will fight over them.
Shuck them? That I got to see! My chickens have always eaten them whole. Same with the goats.
Ok shuck is over claiming, they pecked at them and got the nuts but generally left the shells. Maybe my peanuts are bigger, maybe your chickens are bigger. Heck maybe my chickens are smarter... Hogs and goats ate the whole thing.