fishing...jig tying kit? or what do I need and where to buy

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a young self suffient type in my life who likes to make things with his hands
I was thinking that for Christmas it would be cool to get him making his own jigs as that fosters along his interest in fishing and would be better than time wasted on video games...(not quite sure if he could catch a fish with home made jig? I don't know that much about them just remember my brother making them at the same age)

are their any nice starter kits that aren't so pricey?, I know kits can be a waste and putting to gether my own stuff might be cheaper, but I am having trouble finding what I need, most of all instructions

do I really need a vice or can we jimmy rig something to hold the jig when we are tying it
or where can I get a cheap vice that works and then get some gear

I know where to get the jig heads I have seen those all over
I figure he could paint them with model paint and fingernail polish that I find on the cheap
I figure he could use some good quality sewing thread that I have for coats and buttons
and that he could seal the thread and paint areas with clear polish

so I guess the big trouble i have is the vice and where to get feathers or plumes or things like that and maybe a quick lesson book on jigs or general instructions on how to make all types of lures

the biggest problem I have right now is as I shop on line I don't know who is a reputable dealer of such things, I have tried the big box stores but their selection is limited to none

any help would be appreciated thanks

bornthrifty

~~gd

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well I use a pair 0f vise grip locking neddle nose pliers but I used to use a plain pair of needle nose pliers with a strong rubber band to hold them tight for a vise.
We need to clesar up some terms. I mostly tied DRY FLIES these float on the water serface and are actively fished by casting and reeling in. They are supposed to look [to the fish] like insects either water hatched or fall ins that are doing their best to get out of the water. There are WET FLIES to look like things that live in the water. The term JIG was used with a sinker and was JIGgled up and down.
You said you tried the big box stores Sporting goods big boxes like Dick's or general like Walmart? [Walmart has a system if it doen't sell they quit carrying in that store or region. here in NC you can find everything for golfing but no skies or ice scates LOL] You didn't mention the most important part the HOOK do you have a source for them. I got mine from Walmart. Feathers from my ducks [chicken will work too actually any bird will work] I sometimes even ask at pet stores that have cage birds but usually you have to wash poop off them.
I learned from a older gentleman how to do the basic things.Better than a book. Sorry I can't help.
Don't knock hand made goods. the best are usually hand made. I used to sell some of my best at $20 each! but most I settled up for less, nothing less than a buck. ~gd

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thank you that helps a lot!
also appreciate knowing the difference between dry flies and wet flies and jigs that's very interesting
thanks for the tips on feathers, we know lots of farmers

I might be looking at the wrong thing but I was just going to buy some of these jig (I think they are jigs) that have hooks in them already they are bare metal heads on hooks, I figure he can paint the heads and add feathers and such, and if it seems to be something he takes a liking to we can get better jigs or even fly stuff later

thanks!

~~gd

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
thank you that helps a lot!
also appreciate knowing the difference between dry flies and wet flies and jigs that's very interesting
thanks for the tips on feathers, we know lots of farmers

I might be looking at the wrong thing but I was just going to buy some of these jig (I think they are jigs) that have hooks in them already they are bare metal heads on hooks, I figure he can paint the heads and add feathers and such, and if it seems to be something he takes a liking to we can get better jigs or even fly stuff later

thanks!
I think we call them spoons Or Plugs {maybe jigs I don't fish that way much} spoons are flashly and the spoon makes the rig act like a swiming fish Plugs are about the size af a 3-4 inch fish and usually have multiple hooks} Whatever! The trick of using a needdlle nose pliers as a vise should still work and feathers have lots of sources. Sorry I couldn't be more help. ~gd

Latest posts