fishing virgin

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The last time I fished, I was four years old. I am SO tired of the bland, probably ancient frozen slabs which are all I can afford in the grocery stores. My dad went fishing once in the county where I grew up in Northern Virginia, and basically said what's the point, it's all overfished and polluted anyway. He never did catch anything in the supposedly stocked lake.

Anyway, I am in a county farther south now, and I want to get into fishing, just basic stuff. When I got into chickens last year, the books all made it SO much more complicated than it had to be, and I'm a bit leery of fishing textbooks because of it. I am hoping there might be some basic fishing information that I can find on the net.

Can anyone recommend a good, really basic website? (I am talking about "this is called a fishing pole..." basic)

I looked on line for my county and I guess I need a license. Does the license cover the whole family? Or does everyone need their own? It doesn't say. (I have a 9-year-old who would go with me). And does anyone know where you're supposed to get them?!? The list has costs but nowhere does it say where to send the check!!!

I see people around here fishing in rivers, but the only places I know of to fish are lakes. Is there a difference?

Any information or direction you could point me in would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Where are you located?

In my state you can buy a fishing license either on-line at the DEP website or just walk into Wal-Mart or a bait shop and ask for one. Each adult has to buy their own license and I believe kids under 12 are free to fish whenever as long as they're accompanied by an adult who has a license.

As far as learning websites, I'm not sure, but I googled and found this:

http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/overview?gclid=CP6BnJ6A6qcCFcnc4Aod2yuXaw

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't know your state but when you "the adult" gets a license for your state ask if a "kid age 9" is free or not. You will get that answer real fast and if you are going to fish long, get a 3-5 year license and if you are a hunter etc...get a Sportsmen license. Covers hunting, fishing, ocean fishing etc......

Cane pole, worm, hook.
that is fishing LOL you can catch anything to eat.

get a store rod, hook, a few basic lures, worms and you can eat fresh fish.

fishing requires no "true and tried and must have equipment" other than your desire LOL LOL

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm in Virginia. Stafford County, which is an hour or so below Washington DC. I never thought I could get a license at Walmart, thanks!
I knew you guys would have sensible advice. I walk in the fishing aisle at Walmart and gulp. I knew it couldn't be that hard!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went to college at Randolph-Macon. I loved being able to take day trips to DC - great area!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Ask around for the closest tackle shop. The mom and pop type. They will be an invaluable source of help to you.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
raro said:
I walk in the fishing aisle at Walmart and gulp. I knew it couldn't be that hard!
Just keep in mind that you can spend as much as you want in the bait and tackle aisle.
All you REALLY need is a decent rod and reel (don't buy the cheap little kids package and you don't need the most expensive one either). A package of small hooks, some small split shot sinkers, a small bobber. Bait. Patience. Persistance. A lake. There are a few things that you probably have around the house that you might want to take with you. A needle nose pliars for removing hooks from the fishes mouth and attaching sinkers to the line, one or two old kitchen towels for wiping your hands and a bucket for your catch
To me the license is optional as I have a pond out back well stocked with bluegill and bass the DNR cannot access.
For panfish (blugill, sunnies, perch) get a reel that has been wound with 4lb test line or less.
Once you get to the lake go where others are fishing and don't be afraid to ask questions. Most fishermen are just as willing to help others interested in their sport as the SS crowd here.
I used to fish with a fella that used nothing but a cane pole with line, hook, sinker and bobber and he usually out fished everyone on the lake. Almost impossible to find a store that carries cane poles anymore. When I was a kid that was all we had.
Good luck. :old

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we had pieces of bamboo w/some fishing line wrapped around it, a piece of cork w/a nail thru it, some hooks and worms.

I cannot remember it, I was pretty young, but my parents had taken myself, my 2 older brothers and older sister to visit friends that lived on a lake. We took our "fishing poles". There was a guy out in the lake w/all kinds of fancy stuff. He couldn't catch anything, but we kids sure were catching a ton of stuff! :lol:

For info on fishing in your area, look to see if there's a forum for your state that's for hunters and fishers. If there is, go on there, tell them that you want to get started in fishing, but don't know how. You'll probably get tons of advice, and maybe make some new friends that will be willing to take you under their wing.

Speedysbigred

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
When you pick up your license be sure to ask for a copy of your state's fishing regulations (free) and read everything: Limits, size restrictions, catch and release, legal lures and baits, etc. It's not like it was when I grew up way back in the dark ages when all you needed was a license and a pole - and sometimes not even a license.