Flouride

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Personally, I buy flouride free toothpaste and invested in a water filter that specifically takes out flouride. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to deal with flouride every day - it's my job.

I hate it. There are studies that have proven it does little good and possibly has some serious bad side effects as well. Yet for every such study with such results somebody has a study that says it is wonderful shtuff.

The stuff is a hassle to me. We probably spend more time dealing with it than with chlorine, and we know chlorine is the best anti-microbial out there when you consider price vs effectiveness. Point of that is that chlorine is necessary, flouride isn't, yet we spend more time/effort with it.

Flouride is an acid, we don't handle the stuff without rubber gloves. All the metal in the room adjacent to the wells it is kept in is always very rusty. And we put this in our drinking water? Granted, levels are usually somewhere around .5 parts per million, but still, really?

The tools we have to measure flouride levels are crap, they are unreliable and not made for real field conditions.

Not every well / service area of ours uses flouride - just the more "urban" areas if you know what I mean. That oughta give you a hint....

Flouride in drinking water is Nanny State. Do like Framing Fowl said - brush your teeth.

I grew up with well water, no flouride. I got better teeth than most people I know.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It's yet another industrial waste product we pay for the priviledge of using.

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I grew up on well water,I am 43 and NO cavaties,,my husband has a toothache or needs to go to the dentist and I have no idea what a toothache feels like,his dentist says I am a freak of nature..lol

RobinsValleyVT

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I keep avoiding this conversation with our pediatrician, he wants us to get our well water tested, and give our daughter flouride supplements if we don't have any naturally occurring. I get a read the riot act at the dentist every time I decline the flouride treatment too. I do use toothpaste with flouride for myself and husband, but am rethinking that as well.

It makes me nervous, especially when I know people of my generation whose parents were pushed to give flouride supplements and now have permanent pitting/staining from it on their teeth because they got too much flouride.

I don't like being told I need to give my child a chemical supplement just because it helps prevent cavities. It seems to me that a healthy diet and regular brushing would be just as effective.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The best way to avoid cavaties is tbrough a diet without refined foods.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I worked in the field of dentistry for 20 years and have no fear of fluoridated water. It hardens the teeth especially when they are forming, when children are growing up, their teeth can be made more resistant to decay from having a tiny amount in the water, and by having it applied to the outsides of their teeth. There are different types and concentrations of fluoride, some is for applying and some for consuming. It is something that is not to be used to excess. After age 16 or so, it is not as valuable anymore as teeth at that point are finished forming.

I do not think government should be automatically putting it into our water however. It should be a choice. But I'm more afraid of other things that we swallow willingly such as aspartame, MSG and other things added to my foods than in my water being fluoridated.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I worked in the field of dentistry for 20 years and have no fear of fluoridated water. It hardens the teeth especially when they are forming, when children are growing up, their teeth can be made more resistant to decay from having a tiny amount in the water, and by having it applied to the outsides of their teeth. There are different types and concentrations of fluoride, some is for applying and some for consuming. It is something that is not to be used to excess. After age 16 or so, it is not as valuable anymore as teeth at that point are finished forming.

I do not think government should be automatically putting it into our water however. It should be a choice. But I'm more afraid of other things that we swallow willingly such as aspartame, MSG and other things added to my foods than in my water being fluoridated.
Umm, teeth are hardened when they are forming by proper diet, not chemicals. Breast milk from a mother that is consuming a nutrient dense diet will allow for proper tooth health at the beginning.
There is ample documented evidence of how caustic that stuff is.
Never mind the massive amount of evidence that proved processed foods are at fault. 1% cavitation rates where no processed foods are consumed, with as high as 80% where they are consumed.

In Alaska, the push is on for fluoridation in the villages that do not have it.
Guess why?
Those that have it in the water have only a 2% difference in cavitations, compared to the ones that do not.
64% versus 66%.
So that is deemed a good enough reason to put it in the water.