flow of electricity

3dwizzard

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum. So I hope I pose my concern correctly.
I have been working on a basement project, and now I would like to
power it by solar.
I already bought the solar panels. Two 40 Watt Sopray panels.
I mounted them on PVC pipe, and hooked them up parallel.
To make a 80 watt panel.

I'm probably over thinking this. But I'm concerned what happens to the electricity flow when I shut off the device?
I know on a full blown array, has stunts for the over amperage. But, that would be 300 or 350 amps. I'm only talking about, 4 or 5 amps?
Shouldn't the wiring itself handle that?
I'm using 12 AWG Solar cable.

Thank you, for looking.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My understanding is that you need a diode to prevent the batteries from draining through the panel.

Also, you can get a power resistor that will act as a shunt if you're not using the panel's output. But usually you always have the panel hooked up to your charge monitor and batteries. So if you're really not using the power, why not cover the panel or bring it inside?

3dwizzard

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi k15n1,
Interesting Username.

My understanding is that you need a diode to prevent the batteries from draining through the panel.

Also, you can get a power resistor that will act as a shunt if you're not using the panel's output. But usually you always have the panel hooked up to your charge monitor and batteries.
The project that I am working is a more efficient battery charger.
I've been using a 5 amp 12v power supply. When I looked at kilowatt reading, they were questionable.
So to avoid all the what ifs, and buts. I decided to power it by solar.

I have a 3 Watt 1000 volt diode connected at the end of the circuit, of the battery charger. I have been working with it for three years now, and I've never had a problem with it.

The power resistor is a good idea. I have 5 W resistors.
Can you give me an idea of what ohms I should use?

What I am thinking of, is having some kind of a A B switch,
to switch between the device and the resistor.

So if you're really not using the power, why not cover the panel or bring it inside?
I am disabled, so moving those panels around would be difficult.
Not to mention time consuming.

Thank you for your quick reply.