Flower Pot Smoker

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Very cool. So you don't need two pots! What is the white ring between your pot and your lid?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
I had to read this post, because I couldn't figure out how or why someone would smoke a flower pot. :lol:

Sorry. I need sleep.
So do I. You don't even WANT to know what I was thinking about the pot smoker.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First time I seen/heard about this, was watching the FoodNetwork on cable...Alton brown did a show on it. If you check out youtube you'll find how to make one.

jax

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I note that the pot is a terra cotta pot which of course is made of clay. My question is "How does the terra cotta stand up to nearly 700 F temps that you can get inside one of these things?

I got a "big green egg" at a garage sale (yes, we do have them out here on the prairie) :celebrate for a song and it is made of some kind of space age ceramic but able to tolerate severe temperatures. How does this one compare?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
I note that the pot is a terra cotta pot which of course is made of clay. My question is "How does the terra cotta stand up to nearly 700 F temps that you can get inside one of these things?

I got a "big green egg" at a garage sale (yes, we do have them out here on the prairie) :celebrate for a song and it is made of some kind of space age ceramic but able to tolerate severe temperatures. How does this one compare?
Your temp will NEVER get to 700 degrees if your truly smoking. If your at 700, your COOKING!
The highest I have EVER had my smoker is 300, and that was when I was still learning. 99% of the time is stays around 225 - 250.

OzawkieBantams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Icu4dzs said:

Your temp will NEVER get to 700 degrees if your truly smoking. If your at 700, your COOKING!
The highest I have EVER had my smoker is 300, and that was when I was still learning. 99% of the time is stays around 225 - 250.
I have never had one go over 300 mosttly it stays around 200

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so the temperature should not go over 200-300F. What I asked was "how does it tolerate the high temperature?", but then after looking at the original photograph, I noticed a one gallon bottle of crack filler behind the smoker to the left of the picture in the background.

I am now in a quandry as to the purpose of the crack filler? Does it fix the cracks in the "smoker" or is that some new sort of barbeque sauce? :lol: :gig

My other question is regarding the "innards" themselves. Please describe your fire box and the chimney on the the plate top. Did you have to drill a hole specifically for that chimney? Is that just an oil lamp chimney or is it something else? :idunno

"Enquiring minds want to know..."

//BT//
Trim sends