flu season...? what are the symptoms this year?

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ask because I have had diarrhea for a week now,
I thought I had the flu but now that I still have this yucky symptom I am starting wonder if I should go to doc

I am very tired of this

thanks

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:hugs

I'm not sure what the symptoms are, but DS#1 got his flu shot a few days ago and was really sick that night. If this is any indication, he had major joint and muscle aches, felt like crap (his words) and went to bed at 7:00. He said it got worse during the night with a major headache. He never mentioned diarrhea, but again, this was just the reaction from the shot.

I'd be kind of concerned about having diarrhea for that long - dehyration, loss of electolytes, that kind of stuff. Might be time to head to the doc to make sure there's not something else going on.

I'm a 'stick it out' kind of person. The ol' home remedy is a spoonful of cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup of water and chug it down. Tastes lousy, but I do it after each trip to the bathroom. After two or three 'drinks', it always seems to help. Seems to kind of coat irritated linings, too, but that might be just in my mind.

Good luck. I hate to be sick, too.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs I hate tummy issues.

Sounds like food poisoning or some other gastroenterological issue rather than the flu. What most people call the "stomach flu" is usually not flu at all, but a gastro issue. I'd get checked by a doctor since it's been going on for so long, you want to avoid any permanent damage if you've met up with a nasty bug like e. coli. or something.

The flu, or influenza, is caused by a virus and if affects the immune system. Symptons usually begin quite quickly with high fever and chills, aches and pains particularly in the back and legs, cough, stuffy nose, fatigue, headache, red watery eyes, and sneezing. Children may have some gastro distress in the form of diarrhea or vomiting, but adults generally don't suffer these symptoms.

There are different classes of flu, and each has specific symptoms, but the above list should serve most people well. The big sign is the fever and chills. I've had flu exactly twice, and it's pretty terrible and the second time it held on for a long time. My youngest daughter had it when she was 6 and ended up with pneumonia. It's a serious illness.

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks both of you

that's just it though, it came on like a flu such

with all those symptoms, but the one symptom just hasn't left,

I thought it was getting better for the past 2 days now, but realized that it really hasn't

I will consider going to the doc....(if I haaaaave to) just checking here first,

my daughter was sick last week with the same symptoms and they are long gone

I got sick after her, so I figured this was something conatgious, and not just some bad food, or the like...

however it could just be a coincidence I suppose

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry your feeling sick. I say the BRAT diet might help. Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. This is what they recommend for the little ones.

Perhaps a food born illness??

Feel better.

g

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Might be that you got a double whammy then, flu and tummy. My understanding is that diarrhea for more than 5 days says go to the doctor.

Hope you feel better soon, tummy plus flu would be awful. :hugs

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a flu going around here that has diarrhea, stomach problems and a migraine headache. Lasts for over a week. I haven't gotten it myself but know of several people who have. Takes them a good couple weeks to truly feel better.

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You have received some great suggestions here. I agree, stomach symptoms on their own are not considered the flu - which moolie outlined so well. My suggestion along with the BRAT diet is to try some pedialyte to replace some of the electrolytes you have lost. It tends to be better than gatorade for this type of thing. And also, I agree that if it continues to see a doc. You don't want to just get on something like pepto if you have other issues such as a GI infection. Good luck - hope you are feeling better soon!

Latest posts