Foamy Bubbles in Hatching Egg?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
So I just lost another slate turkey that was trying to hatch. I helped it pip last night. Well, it had already pipped but I enlarged the hole a tad so I could make sure it was breathing. This morning I woke up and the poult was dead, and all inside the egg were foamy bubbles that had dried. What in the world happened? :(

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I really don't know what would have caused the bubbles though. It was very strange!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't suppose you took a pic by any chance? Was there anything else funny looking that might suggest infection? (That was my first thought, that perhaps there was something bacterial going on in there that *both* prevented the poult from living long enough to do more than pip *and* caused foamy bubbles)

If not that, then ya got me. The few chicks I've had that have pipped but died before hatching were fairly normal looking in there when broken open, other than being deficient in fluids and the membrane sometimes kind of leatherized and/or dried onto the deceased chick. No foamy bubbles.

Sorry that one didn't work out for you,

Pat

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
Your humidty is to high during incubation and the egg didn't draw down enough. There was to much liquid in the egg and when it pipped it smothered in the fluid.

Once the eggs start to hatch (however hard it is) keep the 'bator closed and let them do it. Every time you open the door the humidity drops and you end up with shrink wrapped chicks/poults.

The humidty level is kind of a fine line between to much and to little.

Steve

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
steve_of_sandspoultry said:
Your humidty is to high during incubation and the egg didn't draw down enough. There was to much liquid in the egg and when it pipped it smothered in the fluid.

Once the eggs start to hatch (however hard it is) keep the 'bator closed and let them do it. Every time you open the door the humidity drops and you end up with shrink wrapped chicks/poults.

The humidty level is kind of a fine line between to much and to little.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I did have to open the bator a few times because the turkey hatch was sporadic. They were due on Wednesday, but my first 2 hatched a day (or two) early. I had to take them out of there after 2 days, adn that meant opening the bator. I did mist the eggs with water when I did it (warm water) and I did have some shrink wrapped poults that I had to help out. It's frustrating because they didnt' all hatch in one day like I wish they would! :lol: