Food dehydrator?

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for a food dehydrator? I'm asking for one for Christmas, and am looking for one under $100. The main things I will use it on are herbs and hot peppers (although I'll probably find other stuff to dehydrate once I get it.) :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I think for $100 you would probably get a pretty good dehydrator. I don't know what kind mine is, but it is around10 years old,a nd the plastic trays are starting to break. So my advice is to look for good sturdy trays. You do need to wash them, and that is what seems to be breaking mine right now.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine is very old but I love it because it has a large capacity. It is a Excaliber. Been drying lots of things this year. Bushels of apples. Tomatoes, onions,carrots, peppers,cabbage, rutabagas, swiss chard, kale, bananas. Love it! :celebrate

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I just picked up trays and a 150 watt bulb to make the one like someone linked up here. We have the box and foil...I just need the light socket part but, DH thinks he has one....and I need the rods to hold the trays.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have 2 Nesco American Harvest dehydrators. The first one we purchased about 6 years ago for about $40-$50....if I remember correctly. The second one, my BIL bought last year, never used it and gave it to us. This year we used both and didn't have any problems. The one from BIL doesn't have a dial to set temp, but it still worked fine for our needs.

We had decided that since we were so unfamiliar with dehydrating we would start with a modestly priced model. But, we've been happy with it so we'll stick with these for now.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
We have a Harvest Maid Model FD-300 that we have been dragging around the country since the late 1970s or about 1980. It is a big box with trays, fan, and heater. The foam filter rotted a long time ago but the dehydrator still works like a charm. We haven't used it a lot though, just sporadically through the years but it has dehydrated quite a bit of food.

I don't think it is made anymore.

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not much help for Christmas, but I got mine, a nice Ronco with 7 trays, for $5.00 at a yard sale two years ago. Works FANTASTIC, the box and book were included. I see them at resale and Thrift stores also...people just dont know what they have! I may just pick up another this Spring, I've used mine so much this year! I like the Ronco even though it doesnt have the temp. settings, it has good air flow and works great.
Tina

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What do you put in the dehydrator and what do you do with it? Herbs are obvious, but what do you do with dried tomatoes, etc?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have the Nesco too. Love it. Its only 3 years old but I use it all the time. I don't put my trays in the dishwasher. I gently hand was each one. I expect it to last for a while.

inchy, I dry tomatos, zucks, herbs, eggplant, fruits, etc. any dried veggie can be stored in the fridge and used in soups and stews. Fruits are just fun to eat. I have also made beer jerky in mine but I like it from the oven better.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another stupid question - do they plump up to be like normal soup/stew veggies or are they chewy?

Inchy