Food dehydrator?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I have no experience using a microwave, but a cockroach can live merrily inside of one on high level. I have tried that.
You tried microwaving a cockroach and that did not kill it????????

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yes - I certainly did!

It danced around real fast but after a minute in the microwave it was not dead. I was real impressed then I did a little research http://www.essortment.com/all/cockroachanthro_ryoa.htm

No wonder it took so long to rid our old house of the roach infestation that was present when we moved in. At one point I was ready to burn the house!:lol: We finally won through chemical rotation, (yes - me the greenie sprayed - LOTS) diligence, and research.

This is how we are at our house... I microwave cockroaches and my husband cooks mud. (THAT is a LONG weird story and you simply do not want to know.) Everything is a science experiment. That is why I like to make soap!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Since I just joined up, I am a little bit late for Christmas...:cool:

I will recommend you get the LARGEST dehydrator you can,because you will be AMAZED at what all you can do with it! We just finished up 12 pks of celery! we ran it thru the food processor,laid it on parchment paper and set it in the drier. 12 hours later we had beautiful dried celery! We dry EVERYTHING. Carrots,apples,tomatoes(YUMMY)mushrooms(EXTRA YUMMY!) you name it,we dry it!
The dehydrator is KILLER for making jerky!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got a Nesco American Harvest w/5 trays. I immediately dried the hot peppers that I'd been attempting to dry since October, and they're all nice & crispy. The lavender took about 2 hours, and I also dried some potatoes that were getting soft. Pretty cool! Can't wait until summer when I start getting bunches of stuff in. The only thing I don't like is that there's no on/off switch - just have to plug it in to turn it on.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I used to worry about little things like an on/off switch - now I find that really insignificant, especially when you consider the amount of hours it is on each year!

I know you will love the Nesco!

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found a six or seven tray Ronco on craigslist for $25. New with instructions..Have a Excaliber..Still trying to decide if I should just get it?:cool:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I bought a Ronco at a garage sale - tried it out ... gave it away... nuf said.

StrayDog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When I was in my teens I built a food dehydrator which used one of those small heater fans. Now that we are on our 2 acres and growing herbs and vegies I want to make one. But I'm going solar this time to be as self-sufficient as possible (we are still on the grid). Some great designs on the Mother Earth News website and this great site with photos and links to lots of creative solutions: Solar Food Dryers

Latest posts