Food Lables

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Didn't really know where to post this. Since it pertains to food lables I chose here.

I just signed into my AOL account for the first time to day and was totally surprised. We all know food lables are tricky at best. But this has tackled quite a few very big names. I was rather surprised at some of the other items that popped up after I clicked through all the food items.

Thought some of you might find it interesting as well.
(Hope this link works)

http://www.aolhealth.com/healthy-li...lthy-living/nutrition/food-labels-ingredients

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Very few prepared or processed foods are worth eating, nutritionally. Or taste-wise, imo! Homemade all the way!!! :cool:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I agree (not so surprisingly) :D

Also, while they are complaining about the sugar content, they are missing the big picture. Even if it has NO sugar in it, if it has flour, oats, corn, etc...THAT is still basically sugar. You have to look at the total carb count and not just the sugar.

Example, a regular archway cookie has about 17g/carb.
A sugar-free archway cookie has about 16g/carb.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't forget about the sugars that are there in "no-sugar-added" items. Not to mention the nasty stuff they use to sweeten the "sugar-free" items. Aspartame turns to wood alcohol in your bloodstream and has been linked to MS, migraines and more. Heavy use of saccharin has been linked to bladder cancer. Out of respect for WZ I won't mention splenda ;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Don't forget about the sugars that are there in "no-sugar-added" items. Not to mention the nasty stuff they use to sweeten the "sugar-free" items. Aspartame turns to wood alcohol in your bloodstream and has been linked to MS, migraines and more. Heavy use of saccharin has been linked to bladder cancer. Out of respect for WZ I won't mention splenda ;)
...and bleeding in the brain as well as male sterility.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Hmmm, good read. "For example, who knew that Kraft Macaroni and Cheese contains no actual cheese?" Um, me! Me! Icky stuff. Thanks for the link!
Not to make light of it but did you not read the article i published about cheese and cheese food? I worked in a cheese plant for 20 years or there abouts and had the pleasure of showing the USDA inspector around, he told me things no man or regular human should hear.

Cheese Whiz, Port Wine, Velveeta, extra moldy, etc,.Are all made from a batch that got screwed up to were it can not be sold for human consumption. First, all cheese and cheese foods come about by an auction or highest bidder, the cheese is usually damaged by over salting or less likely a bad starter. Normally the difference of a penny a pound will dictate if it goes to Velveeta or pig slop.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I did read that. I stopped buying cheese crap years ago. Started tossing what DH had bought when he wasn't looking. Cheese in a aerosol can? Those single serving slices of cheese? blech, how could anyone think they had real cheese in them?

I'm very proud of my daughter, she flat out refuses to eat fake cheese. Says it tastes nasty. Even turned it down when she was a baby.
That quote "For example, who knew that Kraft Macaroni and Cheese contains no actual cheese?" was from the article 2dream posted.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I'm very proud of my daughter, she flat out refuses to eat fake cheese. Says it tastes nasty. Even turned it down when she was a baby.
We call that crap oil cheese - no milk involved.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
xpc said:
noobiechickenlady said:
Hmmm, good read. "For example, who knew that Kraft Macaroni and Cheese contains no actual cheese?" Um, me! Me! Icky stuff. Thanks for the link!
Not to make light of it but did you not read the article i published about cheese and cheese food? I worked in a cheese plant for 20 years or there abouts and had the pleasure of showing the USDA inspector around, he told me things no man or regular human should hear.

Cheese Whiz, Port Wine, Velveeta, extra moldy, etc,.Are all made from a batch that got screwed up to were it can not be sold for human consumption. First, all cheese and cheese foods come about by an auction or highest bidder, the cheese is usually damaged by over salting or less likely a bad starter. Normally the difference of a penny a pound will dictate if it goes to Velveeta or pig slop.
I did not see it and would be very interested!

Can you share it again please?