Food mill or strainer for wild cherry pits?

jellybeanme

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We have all these wild cherry bushes, way more than we can eat raw. They are a bit tart, but also a bit sweet, and are chokecherry size with big pits. I want to use them, but don't know what gadget will work best. I was thinking of cooking them, then putting them through a food mill (the OXO Good Grips food mill looks good) or something like a victorio strainer to separate them. I want to use as much pulp and juice as possible with the least waste. I like skin and pulp in my jellies, etc, and would rather use it all than just juice them and throw out the rest. Any of you used these gadgets for this or for chokecherries (I want to make chokecherry products also...)? I would also try to use whatever I get for my tiny crabapples, to remove seeds from the pulp. We don't eat much jelly, so this year I think I'd like to make liquor and tart pulpy juice to use for recipes/ sauces.

Was also thinking of a steam juicer, but they're more expensive and you don't use anything but the juice. I want a way to just get the pits/ seeds out.

S

sunsaver

What about using a strainer or colander with holes slightly smaller than the pits. You could smash the cherries with a potato masher, then force the pulp through the strainer by hand.