Food Storage on the cheap

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya'll are bad for my supposed sanity. If I can get away with regular buckets at least until I can afford some gamma seal lids (I don't have many jars, just one quart jar and about eight half pints, lol), then I'll definately be able to buy the 50lb bags of ww flour and raw sugar. Sure beats having to drive about an hour away to get the GOOD stuff or getting the crappy stuff at walmart for $5 for 3lbs of sugar, lol.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek....Did you mean 5lb of sugar for $3.00 at Walmart.. ? Or did you meam what you typed..? Just wondering that seems high for Walmart.. I just bought some at my local IGA for 1.99 a 5lb bag on sale, i haven't seen much cheaper than .40 a lb for awhile.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I found my vaccum sealers at Goodwill!!! with the jars attachments.

I have also seen them at garage sales. When I see them I buy them, because I usually know someone who appreciates getting one as a gift from me, even if it is from a second hand store ;)

It was a good thing I had a couple of spares, since now I am so broke I cannot even shop at goodwill very often. Our sealer died this spring and I just went out and got a spare one out of the garage.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok I think I have one of those attachments. But my sealer does not seal. Maybe I can still use it on the jars??? Hummm I'm gonna have to look for all the parts.

g

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
awesome that is what I thought the jar attachments did then last night when I was looking at one it didn't say jar attachment it said jar lid... scared me for a sec... LOL Hubby's buying me a foodsaver soon! woot! I've looked for one at the thrift stores for about 2 years now still haven't found one... The one I did find they wanted $80 bucks for you can buy it new for $90 :rolleyes:

Sugar here is outrageous! 4lb bags are 2.40 (the not only raised the price they made the bags smaller as well... so if they still sold the 5lb bags then yeah it would be 3 bucks a bag!

I so want to get a few gamma lids but until I can save up for a large order to save on shipping it will be a while till I can get them... Will be nice for bulk flower and such...

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just to be sure, you want the Foodsaver Jar Sealer. I looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03...FFS6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289867024&sr=8-2

I do remember seeing other Foodsaver lids that you have to leave on the jars. Also, my jar sealer didn't come with the little hose that connects it to the machine. I got a hose with the machine, but had lost it. I called the company and they sell them for around $1 each plus shipping (2 years ago). So I ordered 3 right away, since the shipping was the same price.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought the organic raw sugar... It was literally five bucks for a 3lb container. I picked up 14lbs of raw sugar (would have been closer to 20lbs, but there were only three bags and one was split open, lol). As soon as I can get buckets, I'll be hitting the other amish store to get the 50lb bag. It's $.65/lb in the 50lb bag or $.79 at that store for smaller bags. The store we hit has it at $.95/lb. But I just cannot justify driving an extra half an hour to the other store if I don't have bulk storage.

Now I need to check the thrift stores out. I would love to have a sealer, lol.

Latest posts