Foot Soaks and Heel Balms

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have neglected my hard working feet over the years, and I am wondering what you guys do to care for them. I am interested in home made soaks and cracked heel creams.

I have used epson salts for foot soaks before, sometimes with some mint. I tried a tea foot soak years ago, but much prefer the salts. Well overdue to do one now! I dont have a bathtub so tend to use a bucket, hose and kettle to fill it.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you do your own comfrey and calendula oils from your collected herbs? I would be interested in that recipe b/c hubby is a diabetic and is always fighting with foot issues.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is is, @Lazy Gardener I usually do the "cold" oil for several weeks, but the hot method works if you are in a hurry. I got this recipe from someone on the internet, but I'm sorry to say I've lost the name of the person that I got it from...

Homemade “Neosporin”

1/2 cup coconut oil (proven to help heal burns - plus it’s anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, & a great moisturizer)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (full of vitamins & a great moisturizer)
1/4 cup dried comfrey (an herb for healing wounds)
1/4 cup dried calendula (an herb for healing wounds & skin irritations)
2oz beeswax
2 tablespoons of honey (natural moisturizer with anti-microbial properties)
10 drops lavender essential oil (anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, & analgesic) (optional)

Method
In a medium saucepan – combine the coconut oil, olive oil, comfrey, & calendula. Cook on low to medium heat for about 20-30 minutes, stirring often. You can also get more ‘healing zip’ from the herbs by soaking the herbs in the olive oil for 2 to 6 weeks instead of cooking (longer you soak, more healing properties get infused). Then you would follow the rest of the recipe accordingly, with the exception of adding the coconut oil to the mixture before adding in the beeswax.

Strain the mixture using a cheesecloth or coffee filter.

Toss the herbs & wipe out any remaining herbs from your saucepan. Add the strained oil back to your pot, turn the heat to low. Stir in the honey at this point until mixed.

Add the beeswax and stir until completely melted.

Stir in the essential oil, if using, at this point. Once combined, remove from the heat.

You’ll want to work quickly now as the salve starts to set up rather fast. Pour into the glass or tin container(s) of your choice. I used wide mouth 8 oz jars.

Stir or shake occasionally while it cools to ensure that everything settles properly, especially the honey.

Once it sets up, you’re all done. Each batch makes a little over a cup.

Seal it up & keep it on hand for your boo-boos, diaper rash, & dry skin. It keeps for a year.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. Just a couple ?'s re: ingredients: Do you just use calendula blossoms, or the leaves also. I have some EO of Lavender, but it is not food grade. Would that be safe to use, or should I leave it out? I assume that if I find a fresh source of lavender, I could use that right along with the other herbs. In that case, leaves ok, or just flowers???

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use just the petals of the calendula. I dry them first, at very low heat, and then cover them with oil and let them work for about 6 weeks. If you do the "hot" method there's no need to dry them first; that's just to prevent possible mold at the cooler temps. Since the salve is not taken internally, I personally would not worry about it being food grade or not, you're only using a few drops. But that's just me, and I am NOT an expert. If I were to use fresh flowers, I would do the same with the lavender as with the other herbs- add the fresh flowers along with the others in the hot method, or do a cold oil with dried flowers. You don't even really have to use the lavender, but it smells nice and gives just a little more oomph to the mix.