For all you goat experts -- UPDATE: Pic of Tripod

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When is it too early to sell mama goat?

A friend is coming by to purchase most of my goats, but I want to keep a few of the doe kids. They range between 7 and 11 weeks old.

So, where would you put the cutoff for the keepers? I'm keeping the three legged mama and her triplets, but the other two kids will either go with their moms or stay by themselves. This would obviously be cold turkey weaning.

Thanks in advance.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I'm keeping the three legged mama
Brother, if you make a statement like this you gotta include a picture

what happened? got hungry for a leg-o-goat and couldnt wait? HA! (just kidding!)
;-)

(and i have no useful info for your question, sorry!)

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have one who is 7 weeks. Based on replies from some of you over at BY Herds, I've decided she stays with mama. They will be either sold or kept together.

OFG, Tripod is the best mother of the lot. I had considered getting rid of her early on, but she is just great with her babies. It's her right rear leg that is missing (birth defect, not dinner), and it hadn't occurred to me earlier that this actually makes for easier access for her kids. Everything's just right out there in the open! :lol:

I'll post pics later.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
If you can wait till the 18th instead the Farmer's Almanac says that is a good day for weaning animals. I dunno if it works :hu some folks swear by it though. I'm gardening by the moon phases this year as a trial run to see if the waxing and waning actually has any effect on the way my garden grows. I'm even tilling by the signs :lol: I know the moon affects water, and plants are mostly water so.....eh it's worth a shot I spose. So I would wait till the 18th just out of curiosity. Goats scream bloody murder when the mom is taken away from my experience...wonder if it'd be any different this way? If you wait, let me know how it goes :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2 1/2 mos. is earliest I pull kids from the doe

so 10 weeks is earliest and I usually sold all kids by 12-14 weeks at the latest

cold turkey at or over 2 1/2 mos. is fine....they got all the best of the mom at that point and can easily do well on their own

Tripod hahaha

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
OFG, Tripod is the best mother of the lot. I had considered getting rid of her early on, but she is just great with her babies. It's her right rear leg that is missing (birth defect, not dinner), and it hadn't occurred to me earlier that this actually makes for easier access for her kids. Everything's just right out there in the open! lol
Tripod.... *snort* hee hee hee hee hee....

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
I'm keeping the three legged mama
Brother, if you make a statement like this you gotta include a picture
Your wish is my command, m'lady. Sorry for taking so long.

667_tripod.jpg

Tripod, her triplets, and a couple of friends.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wowza! And do I see six, count 'em, six goats all eating grain together peacefully? How on earth to you manage that? Are they eating Xanax? :lol:

Latest posts