For enveryone doing the... "Is it really that hard" Challenge.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have always made sure to have the basics on hand. Rice, potatoes, legumes, whole flour, cornmeal, eggs, milk and evap milk, leavening agents, fats and oils. Many years I was a military wife and at least had the option to shop at the commissary. After that, it was totally civilian, on the economy. Still, with the basics in your pantry, you'll never go hungry.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
When I checked your links the other day, one of them led me to a "how much should your family be spending on food per week" page--for my family (two adults, two teens) it said that it wasn't possible to feed us well/properly on anything less than $195/week.

A limited budget should be a ticket to learning better problem-solving and planning techniques, to creativity and growth, not despair and fast food :)
Moolie,

I believe it assumes you will be buying all you food at a large grocer. I think I had found that link as well. I took that as "if your spending more than that you could probably cut down." maybe I was looking at another link, but like I said this is taking in national averages (US). You can read the methods of there statistics in there 65 pg journal.

Hopefully, I won't be in such a 'food/agricultural desert" in the future. Applyig to jobs in more rural area. But there is so many differences in a family like yours and A young guy in the city like me. Prices are outrageous compared to where I grew up.

-All good stuff... thanks

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol Flytyer--I'm in a big expensive city as well, and it isn't as simple to find what we prefer to eat here as it might be in a more rural area--we really have to work at it, and do a bit of driving to get what we want.