For Southern Gardeners: Book Recommendation

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Southern Living Garden Book

I have been looking for a comprehensive gardening book for a couple of years now, especially one that had info specifically for the south. This book was recommended by a Master Gardener and wow, it's just what I have been looking for. It covers EVERYTHING in-depth... flowers, shrubs and bushes, trees, including nut trees, veggies, herbs, berries, plus has tons of "how to" instruction. It's full of photos and illustrations and I can't put it down. :D Oh, it also has hardiness maps (plant heat zones and climate zones) that make more sense than just planting by your USDA zone.

The states covered are Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North and South Caroline, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks a million. I looked for years for a book that covers southern gardening and never found anything. I will sure check this book out.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh I love this book! Most gardening books have some cheesy hand-drawn illustrations but the pics in this book are beautiful!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Question, JR - does the book have a section on pests & diseases? I have an NC Gardening book, which has very little on that, which is disappointing. (Luckily, there's always TEG!) :D

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Question, JR - does the book have a section on pests & diseases? I have an NC Gardening book, which has very little on that, which is disappointing. (Luckily, there's always TEG!) :D
Yes! Really, this is the most in-depth book I have come across. I love my local ag extension and the master gardeners!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
JRmom said:
The Southern Living Garden Book

I have been looking for a comprehensive gardening book for a couple of years now, especially one that had info specifically for the south. This book was recommended by a Master Gardener and wow, it's just what I have been looking for. It covers EVERYTHING in-depth... flowers, shrubs and bushes, trees, including nut trees, veggies, herbs, berries, plus has tons of "how to" instruction. It's full of photos and illustrations and I can't put it down. :D Oh, it also has hardiness maps (plant heat zones and climate zones) that make more sense than just planting by your USDA zone.

The states covered are Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North and South Caroline, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas.
Is the book you have the latest edition? I saw some on ebay and there are several different editions. I don't want to order an older one and not get some of the info you speak of!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine is the second edition. I bought it at Books-a-Million so I'm assuming it's the latest one.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'm going to write a gardening book for Colorado. It will be one page long and say "yeah, good luck with that!".

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I'm going to write a gardening book for Colorado. It will be one page long and say "yeah, good luck with that!".
:lol: Well, maybe you can fill it out with lots and lots of illustrations... so they buyer feels like they're getting their money's worth!