For Those Unprepared, Will It Be Like This..??

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well Thanksgiving is just around the corner.You know what that means, turkey dinner with loved ones and friends, and yes " BlacK Friday ". That crazy day after the big bird feast when folk start their holiday shopping.
Will people behave the same why in a major emergency or worse..? Here on Long Is,.NY where i live, memories of a Black Friday nightmare in 2008, killed a Walmart employee.The employee was trampled to death by crazy shoppers who raced,pushed and shoved to get a much wanted item at deep discount.
Will people be even crazier to get at food and water in stores..? I think so...
If the food trucks stopped running for whatever reason, i've read the stores only have a four day supply of food,etc. on hand.If this is true, are you ready..? What will you do..? If you haven't prepared or made plans , how will you & family survive..??

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think you have a valid point, anytime we have warning of an ice storm, there is a run on goods. Never really understood why people didn't learn after the first few times the stores had been emptied of goods... Just about anyone can keep a few days or a week's worth of food on hand.

Indeed, what happens when the trucks aren't running and the stores empty out. During an ice storm, the stores may empty, but within a few days, goods are there again. What happens when goods can't show back up? Will store owners be lynched because people can't get what they want? Saw a video the other day of a woman in Germany who FREAKED OUT at McDonalds, broke the drive thru window, slapped & punched several clerks, tried to climb inside the window and just generally made an @$$ of herself. Because they didn't serve mcnuggets at breakfast. :ep

Say one person starts the violence, mobs have a tendancy to follow the leader, so to speak. Then it escalates. Scary.

At our local walmart a few years back, the mobs broke the front doors trying to get in. We haven't had anyone killed yet, but we have had injuries. That's why I don't go. I sit at home or wherever I am celebrating and enjoy the company & food. It's just not worth it. Most of the black friday stuff is junk I don't need anyways :)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
AAACCCKK!!

I've never gone, and never plan to.. :hide

I can't believe how incredibly RUDE people can be over a few dollars.
That's when an animalistic (?) behavior (worse actually!) starts showing up and people are on a mad rampage and have no human decency. :old

:sick

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
never did a black friday
never will --I am the "shop now, screw saving $15 bucks in a madhouse later" type person lol

will I be prepared if food trucks stopped running---absolutely....I have a farm, I put up food, I have livestock

I sure will make it

Remember too---some people are NUTS, truly, have mental troubles, so those going insane over a relatively simple matter like a 2 day power outage in a storm, well, are nuts lol---and then you see those stories hit the paper.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I wonder.. You mention people with mental troubles.. How many people rely on medicines to maintain day to day life, or rely on it?? If it gets that bad, will those folks have what they need? I'm guessing in the long run - NO.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I wonder.. You mention people with mental troubles.. How many people rely on medicines to maintain day to day life, or rely on it?? If it gets that bad, will those folks have what they need? I'm guessing in the long run - NO.
Count me in that group. I don't get to have extra meds on hand because I wouldbe a danger to myself. I also will never learn how to use a gun.

I don't have to prepare too much for myself because I'll be in the first group to die off. :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I did a black friday shop once just to see what it was like. Didn't end up buying much because the lines at the checkout were too long. Other than that no biggie. People in Colorado, at least in smaller cities and towns, tend to be polite and friendly. Of course most of us are refugees from the midwest :D

So lots of talking in line, swapping coupons, and giving advise on where the best deals are.

Some of that may also be because we are a military area. Lots of well armed, well prepped individuals so maybe less freaking out in general?

How many people rely on medicines to maintain day to day life, or rely on it?? If it gets that bad, will those folks have what they need? I'm guessing in the long run - NO
Good guess. A friend's son, without meds, immediately starts plotting how to kill off his family, With meds he is actually a sweet kid. Well, he's 23 now, so not a kid, but he went through hell and years of being institutionalized because of his schizophrenia. I also know people with bipolar disorder. Some need meds all the time. Some only need it during a "flare up". All of these people are only allowed by law to have a couple of months (sometimes barely a month) worth of meds at a time.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Blackbird said:
Count me in that group. I don't get to have extra meds on hand because I wouldbe a danger to myself. I also will never learn how to use a gun.

I don't have to prepare too much for myself because I'll be in the first group to die off. :rolleyes:
Well that's no fun! :(

Bread, milk, and beer are the first things to dissapear when we get a 20% chance of SNOW FLURRIES! :lol: I have my chickies, and I have a ton of flour, sugar, honey, salt, and bottled water stashed. So, I think me and hubby would be ok for a while, or at least long enough to gather more supplies and keep trucken. :) The rest of my family- is screwed.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I love Black Friday shopping. :hide

We usually only go to one or two stores. We get there at 4, they open at 5, we rush (safely) and get what we need, then maybe go to the next store. We're usually back home and in PJs by 8 AM. It's great! We usually only buy what we were planning on getting anyways. This year there's only one thing I really want to get, and it's $25 marked down from $40. It's enough of a savings to make me want to wake up early. Plus, I've never experienced a mob. Lots of people in a hurry? Yes, but everyone has been orderly. This year we'll be in NC though, so hopefully those Southerners will behave. :lol: