For those who like coffee: STOCK UP

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Right now, I don't have the time to mess w/it. That's something I hope to do eventually-especially since chicory is caffeine free and I can't have caffeine.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I will hate to see what they inflate the prices to this year. I watch my local big box. I buy the Red 3 lb bucket. In the past couple years it has gone from just over 9 bucks up to 14 and back down to yesterdays price of 11.

I usually try to grab a couple when it's down. Looks like we should get a few more.

g

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Is it possible to seal it? We mostly buy whole beans, and it would be good if we know how to store them so they don't go bad!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Is it possible to seal it? We mostly buy whole beans, and it would be good if we know how to store them so they don't go bad!
Not sure what you're refering to: roasted or unroasted beans? and did you mean the freezer method of storage?

Around here, it is easy to get one- or two-pound bags of roasted beans. The beans come from any particular roasting company (via a retailer) in a sealed foil-lined bag with the company's colors and logo - and these bags are what we put into the freezer. No problem. You can save them in there for months and months.

The only question is how much freezer space can you spare?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
It's a $$ thing. I just got word this morning (possibly I'm a little late in finding out) that a fungus is devastating the crop on a lot of coffee plantations from Mexico down to Peru.

A good time to stock up on coffee beans, cans of ground coffee, etc. Prices will rise. Law of supply and demand.
What is your source of info? The futures market is predicting record off year production. [Evidently like many fruits coffee cherries have a two year cycle wherr prouction is up one year and down the next] If you wonder about cherries coffee 'beans' are the seeds of a fruit commonally called 'cherries'. Of you don't know about futures. These are the rights to buy products in the future at the price set now. Big farmers sell on the futures market to hedge on the market value of their fiture production.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
What is your source of info? The futures market is predicting record off year production. [Evidently like many fruits coffee cherries have a two year cycle wherr prouction is up one year and down the next] If you wonder about cherries coffee 'beans' are the seeds of a fruit commonally called 'cherries'.
Thanks for posting on this, ~gd. You're a man who likes solid foundations for statements made. ;)

My source is this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/04/17/f-roya-coffee-fungus-reddekopp.html

There are other coffee-growing areas of the world, and more than one main type of coffee plant & beans. However, if we're considering the world marketplace and predicted total coffee-cherry crop & and bean production, diminished harvest in the Americas will affect supply. As usually follows with a diminished final crop harvest, prices (wholesale and probably retail) may be predicted to be affected.

But I let people make their own judgments. I just raised the topic.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good to know, I love my coffee and only buy whole bean organic. I have stored 25 1lb packages in the cool basement and never had a problem. Air is the enemy when it comes to coffee storage so if you plan to stock up a vacuum sealer would be perfect. Ground will not stay as fresh for long term storage unless you freeze it.