For those who want to learn to Weld

justin_case

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welding, one of the most usefull skills.

I am self taught, so while I will throw out a few of the things I have learned, trust the advice of profesionals over mine any day.
On equipment on the other hand I have good knowledge of and own most every type.

As to welding for us beginner hobbiest types, do it outside not in a enclosed garage!
We are hobbyest never try a tralier hitch, pressure vessel or such, leave the serious stuff to the pro's, always.
Get a auto darkening helmet (on sale Princess auto - 50.00)
Always try to orient the work piece flat, welding horizontal is best for learning.
I will likely get hell from the pro's on this, but I use stainless steel rods for everything (stick welding), can be found cheap on craigslist,kijiji.
You can light one of these up, fall asleep while burning it, and will have a great looking weld! Great for learning! I cover the welded piece with fireblank, or fiberglass batt if handy It just lets the piece cool slower(less likely cracking of the weld for us amatures)
You can cut steel with a stick (CC) welder just dial up the amperage and use the rod like a torch, if you have compressed air handy with your free hand aim the nozzle at where you are cutting to blow away the slag (poor mans plasma cutter).Clean up the cut with a grinder.
For us amatures, build up the area through multiple passes, we arnt pro's so economy of material is not a concern so if our weld are heavier, and thicker than a pro's thats ok.

As for Mig welding, so many ways, all good, but I suggest fluxcore, in.030,.035,or .045 for welding. I like the .030 dialed down low for tight control of the arc on things needing a good finished appearance. Fluxcore mig is like stick welding in that it leaves a protective slag on the weld, so you weld away from the slag(if you have slag-you drag).
Thats all I know about welding, its worked for me though I am sure the experts cring at my advice.

Never have good welding machines been so affordable(on the used market). Everyone (shops) is buying inverter based machines now, and junking the old stuff
A good old Miller Dialarc 250 ac/dc welder is hard to beat, bullet proof, and you can fix it yourself. A old Miller Thunderbolt is a ok one as well for us hobbiest. I bought my Dialarc for 250 used, the thunder bolt for 100. Both machines are hackable.
A Millermatic 200 is one of my favorites. The 200 can be repaired with off the shelf parts if needed.Lincoln also has good old ones, just drawing a blank at the moment.
Anyway, one of the best skills to learn, once you can weld you really can build anything.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay, enough of this mamsy pamsy stuff, who in here has experience forge welding? That being said, I'm just learning to use my wire feed. I've very little to no skill other than being able to stick some things together rather sloppily. Really good idea about the youtube vids...guess what I'll be doing tonight.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Another one I've heard is pretty tough and requires specific skills is welding cast iron. Anyone here with that type of experience?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
justin_case said:
I give up, no matter what I try pic's wont load.
I don't know if you can't post a pic because we have a problem w/the board right now, or if you're not doing it right. But, just in case it's cuz you're not doing it right, this is what you need to do. Click on uploads. A new tab will pop up. Open that tab. At the top it will say select image to upload. They'll be a box that says file above it, and have a "button" that says Browse next to it. Click on browse and find the pic you want from your computer. If you need to resize your pic, you can. Then at the bottom, there's a "button" that says submit. Click on that. Your pic should download. Once it's downloaded, you'll see your pic. Underneath of it are 2 sizes, thumb and image. If you click on thumb, it will be a small pic. If you click on image, it will be a larger image. Copy the address from whichever you want, then paste into your post and your pic should be able to be seen by everyone.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
Another one I've heard is pretty tough and requires specific skills is welding cast iron. Anyone here with that type of experience?
I've tried cutting cast iron a couple times with O/A. It doesn't really cut clean, because it burbles and spurts out assorted blobs of molten iron. One time was nearly a total failure for me, another time I was able to get a rough cut that I gave a lot of edge grinding to and it was functionally okay, but not pretty.

I met a guy about a month ago who was restoring an old wood stove, and it came out in conversation that he can weld cast. I'd like to learn from him, but he lives a bit too far away - plus his work schedule and my own were a bit too out of phase with each other.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
ThrottleJockey said:
I've tried cutting cast iron a couple times with O/A. It doesn't really cut clean, because it burbles and spurts out assorted blobs of molten iron. One time was nearly a total failure for me, another time I was able to get a rough cut that I gave a lot of edge grinding to and it was functionally okay, but not pretty.

I met a guy about a month ago who was restoring an old wood stove, and it came out in conversation that he can weld cast. I'd like to learn from him, but he lives a bit too far away - plus his work schedule and my own were a bit too out of phase with each other.
My father was at one time a VERY skilled welder and claims cast is a PITA and won't say much more about it other than it involves pre heating in some sort of oven and burying in sand when complete to allow slower more even cooling....and it is very time consuming.

justin_case

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Deb, I get the pic I select in my preview section, it just fails when I hit submit/post.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
welding cast is a PITA if you don't have a furnace or oven to bake it in. you need to know what kind of cast it is and what filler metals will bond to it. lots of info on welding online weldingtipsandtricks.com its good stuff.

as for even cooling, you can bury it in sand, flame cool, bake it cool or wrap it in heated fire blankets like reliant gear (welder powered heating coils). the important thing is to heat / cool it evenly to prevent stress cracks or weld failure.

as for identifying cast iron types, file hardness, metal color and acid testing are good simple and easy to do at home. ring testing if you are very damn good (not I). do not taste test the metal to ID it, welders say you can taste the different kinds just to see if ppl fall for it. its funny as hell but very wrong. :idunno

i have seen it welded with GMAW, GTAW and SMAW. even Oxy-Act welding. all very cool. i prefer GTAW root with SMAW cover passes, that is with metal preheated to 350degF, cracks and joints cleaned and beveled, welded to 3/32 above surface for weldment. if i can access the back side i will back gouge the root and weld up to surface. all the while keeping the temp above 350degF but not welding between passes if the temp is over 500degF (called interpass temp). a lot of juggling heat and hot parts.

PITA! :he :barnie

but i have fixed a few cast parts for the LSD i was stationed on a few years ago. I also fixed some tractor and equipment parts for my Dad. another PITA procedure is doing hard surfacing on equipment or contact parts. :th

most of my experience is Navy based welding not shipyard or industry there could be a thousand more ways to do what i have described. this is just what i know and i'm always learning more.

GMAW - gas metal arc welding - mig
GTAW- gas tungstun arc welding - TIg
SMAW - shield metal arc welding - stick
LSD - landing ship docking variant