Foraging for Food- The weed identification thread.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Savingdogs:

To the best of my knowledge (and it can be hard with just a photo)

#2, #9, and #10 all look like foxglove to me

#3 looks like alder, hard to say for sure

#4 trillium (can I have one please?)

#5 looks kind of like #6, hard to say from the photo

#6 sow thistle -- if so it is edible

#11 bleeding heart

#12 miner's lettuce (hard to say because I can't see the leaves or even the flowers very well) -- if so it is edible

#13 snowberry

#14 thistle of some sort
Well I'm pretty sure number 10 is not foxglove, I'm familiar with that one. And plant number 10 is pictured in picture number 9, but I was trying to get the name of the green-flowered tall yucky weed in that one, and I think there is mullien in picture number 9 too. I should probably take a better picture with just a single plant, sorry. :hide

I hope you are right about the foxglove however, that would be wonderful to have that there. That is an excellent guess, we have foxglove all over and there was some growing in that vicinity last year, so I'll be able to let everyone know about number 2 and picture number 9.

I'm so dissapointed number 3 is an alder. I don't know why the prior owner marked it. It is an extremely logical guess and I should have recognized it, we have alder everywhere here (red alder). But usually it starts more like a sucker tree and that looked like a bush.

5 and 6 do look similar but are not (see prior discussion) Miss the North thought 5 was Canadian thistle and sunsaver thought 6 is a type of lettuce, but I wonder if sow thistle is just another name for it.

# 12 being miner's lettuce would be awesome! We have sooooooooooo much of that.

And 13 is indeed snowberry, when I looked up that name the little weird white berry was there, I forgot it was white but that photo jogged my memory, we do have those weird white berries on them, thanks!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Took some pictures last night around the yard of edibles. Yum!

Lamb's Quarters (use like spinach) Triangle shaped leaves on a tall stalk.
IMG_3311.jpg

Narrow leafed Plantain (use medicinally or when young as fresh greens)
IMG_3332.jpg

Wide leafed Plantain (use medicinally or when young as fresh greens)
IMG_3321.jpg

Oxalis or Wood Sorrel or Sourgrass (mine gets yellow flowers) Has a lemony taste when used in salads. Looks like clover with heart-shaped leaves.
IMG_3316.jpg

Purslane. Has tear drop shaped leaves that feel a bit rubbery.
Gardening08007.jpg

And here are some wild/volunteer black raspberries starting to turn.
IMG_3315.jpg

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Becca, other names for the plantain are buckhorn plantain (the narrow leaved one) and broadleaf plantain (the wide one of course :p). When we were kids we figured out that Wood Sorrel tasted like lemon! We had no clue what it was then, but we'd chew on the leaves.

S

sunsaver

Nice photos BeccaOH, and all correctly labeled too. Thanks for that! I love oxalis in salads. They are also called shamrocks.

S

sunsaver

Rebecca100, the fist two, that make a rosette the first year then have a tall bloom stalk with clusters of small green or yellow flowers is sour dock. Im not sure on the others.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SD...I too have alot of those plants in my yard, but I'm also looking to find out about the 'other' plants in your pics.

#12....I can see what has a long stem with thin spike-like leaves at roughly 6-8 inch intervals up the stem and it is very sticky. It sticks to everything, like clothes, skin, etc. I don't remember if it gets any flowers or not, but WHAT IS THIS STUFF???? grrrrr

#14....just to the left of the thistle...it has deep roots, when you try to pull it-it breaks off leaving you with a handful and the plant usually has gooey wet stuff. The leaves are kinda long ovalish shaped and can all get very large. It grows/divides by the roots...if you dig it up and the root breaks off...it will come back from that root......and if you happen to leave a piece of it laying around, it grows back. This is another one that is invading my garden like some plague AND IS WORSE THAN MINT to irradicate. I HATE this stuff.
Any ideas on these????

Oh and #13 (I think)....what color are the berries? I belive you said it grows in tree stumps or dead wood fall. What came to my mind was wild huckleberry, but the leaves don't look quite right. The wild huckleberry bush usually grows in old tree stumps (usually cedar) & where trees have fallen or rotted and have red berries. The leaves are similar to the pic but smaller and greener.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Becca, you missed one of the wild edibles in your photo-clover. Off the top of my head I can't remember what all you can do w/it.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I'm so dissapointed number 3 is an alder. I don't know why the prior owner marked it. It is an extremely logical guess and I should have recognized it, we have alder everywhere here (red alder). But usually it starts more like a sucker tree and that looked like a bush.
Yes, number 3 has a funny shape for an alder, so I wasn't sure, but the leaves really look like alder to me. It could be some sort of ornamental I guess, but none come to mind that look like that.

Seems like mullein leaves are fuzzier and more in a tight rosette at the base than what you had pictures of, but like I said it can be hard to id from a photo. :) Did you have mullein flowers last year?

I couldn't get a good read on photo number 9 except for what I thought were foxgloves. In the background I think I might see the plant you say has green flowers, but it is hard to pick it out well.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Becca, you missed one of the wild edibles in your photo-clover. Off the top of my head I can't remember what all you can do w/it.
Ah yes, with the broadleaf plantain. I wasn't focused on common clover. :) I know you can use the white and red flowers as pretty salad additions. I have heard of clover jelly from the flowers, but I haven't had it.

Latest posts