Forestry Mulching

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, my FIL used to build stuff to last until the Second Coming... Actually, I like that; I hate having to go back and fix something because it wasn't done right. Of course, the down side of this is you can't change your mind later...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had 2 neighbors with about 3/4 acre apiece, not enough for an 8 hour minimum. My husband asked the owner of the mulcher if we could include them as part of our property. He told the owner that we would cut the fence and the operator could go from our property to theirs and not have to move the equipment. He said yes. Our two neighbors were excited. In the below picture is our neighbor, Jimmy’s property at our side fence. We cut the fence where the small gate is. There are pipe posts for hanging the walk through gate, but it was never hung because nobody could walk through the back of Jimmys place. The green gate is what he brought over to cover the down fence REAL good! His place is not all fenced because of the thicket and he said no coyotes were going to get through the fence to my sheep, "NOT ON MY WATCH!" The LGD's were on lockdown in the backyard because of cut fences, people coming and going and mass confusion. LOL

3cf07a3e-4111-44b6-b9ee-400d125e9e58-jpeg.64931

Click on the picture to make it larger.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This past week has been crazy. We had the mulcher show up Monday. We kept our 2 and 4 year old grand daughters Tuesday through Friday morning so their parents could get away for some time for themselves. We kept their two dogs also. Their small dogs could get through the cow panel holes, under gates, so I had to watch them constantly. We had to put the LGD's on lockdown to keep Paris from attacking the two little idiots. I took the dogs home on Thursday because my DD and husband would be in late that night. I went over at 5:00 to let them out to potty, then put them back in their kennel. I just couldn't take them any more! LOL After the kids left and the mulcher left Friday, we collapsed and took a nap.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bay, will you be seeding all of that land now to grass? Looks pretty level, so you probably don't have to worry about soil erosion at all, do you? Around here when they do a strip of the land like that, it's usually on a hill or mountain and then we get to see massive soil erosion take place if they don't hurry and reseed it to some kind of grass/tree/shrub.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Having made a series of water gaps in my life, tagging along behind my grandpa as a kid and seeing failures in all of them, I needed something that would keep the dogs and sheep IN. So the concrete bags worked very well and are still working. They also work well stacked up around culverts to prevent them washing out.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Having made a series of water gaps in my life, tagging along behind my grandpa as a kid and seeing failures in all of them, I needed something that would keep the dogs and sheep IN. So the concrete bags worked very well and are still working. They also work well stacked up around culverts to prevent them washing out.

Yep I can see where they would work well for culverts also. Its just a overall smart idea, that I've never seen done before. Beats sandbags that's for sure.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is a picture after the bags rotted off. My husband wanted a little pool, so that’s how I made it. It makes a good tadpole pool. LOL expand the picture, look how we ran another strip of wire to close in the bottom.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We ran a smooth twisted wire at the bottom, attaching it to the T-posts. That gave us something to hog ring the strip of wire at the bottom, to. Water passes through holes I left in the second from top layer and gaps I left between bags at the top.