"Forever" floor out of asphalt roofing?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
The main attraction to me was the longivity of the floor, combined with the texture. I don't like the feel of tile. It's too hard on my feet.

Many people have used asphalt roll roofing for stairs & walkways & the like. Once painted with a few coats & maintained occassionally, they last the life of the wood. If it's that great for exterior uses, wouldn't it be more durable inside? Plus, for tile installation, you'd have to use a ton of leveler if your floor has a slight sway to it (like mine...) With the roll roofing, you just mimic the sway.

The paint jobs shown certainly left something to be desired though :p
Like BBH, I'm thinking of a faux stone finish, rather than the loud blocks in the pictures.

With this, you can use your imagination and customize your floor whenever, just for the cost of paint, which you can get preeeetty cheap, if you can deal with off-tinted colors. The most horrible colors you can imagine can look great when marblized.
Did any of you posters ever try the floor out? DH and I did, on the place we bought last year. It has been in use now for about 10 months, and seems to be a very good idea.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Was it hard to install, Moxie? I think it looks really cool. I think I might try it. I agree, the way the author painted the floor, it isn't attractive, but if it is just paint I could certainly dream up something I enjoy more. I think it would be cool to do the stone effect, but in more of a taupe/tan type of shade, or paint it to look like mexican tiles. Thanks for sharing this idea!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Forever floor. It was a bit of a challenge to install. What with the roof mastic and all. But it seems to be holing up really well. We have so much demo to do on this place, was pointless to spend good retail $$ on a new vinyl floor, just to rip it up in the future. So, DH found this idea, and we did it. And, as for the paint....go to your local hoe store, and buy their returns. Usually 5$ per can. It will take many layers of latex....but they do dry quickly. Then, I applied the decorative coat on top. All I had was a concrete walkway form, and some art stamp blocks of sponge. I will post pics, if I can figure out how. Oh, and I applied Future floor shine to the top, to help protect it.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I read about a "paper bag" floor somewhere in which you used paper bags and then coated it all with a thick layer of polyurethane. I wondered how polyurethane would be over the top of this floor? I sent you directions on how to upload pictures in your inbox.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you savingdogs. We have been so busy lately, with the cooler weather arriving.
As for our Forever Floor, we have lived with it a year now. It seems to be holding up well. I do keep the chair sliders on the chair feet though. The regular metal ones seem to dig into it more.
I mop it with diluted cleaner. It is not the same was vinyl flooring...so, it won't hold up to the cleaners made for them. But, it comes clean fairly easy, and we are way out in the country. This floor does get dirty. I use the shop vac on it lots of times.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My project for the day is supposed to be ripping up old carpet. So far I haven't gotten too far! yuck!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:sick Ya, SD. Even when you think you have always vacuumed enough, you're always shocked at how cruddy it is underneath, huh! What are you going to have for flooring there now?

I've learned that dogs and carpets don't go well together, so we're going all hard surface...eventually!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have cruddy old carpet and gross old pad in that room. It is a spare bedroom, and we need to refloor the hallway that leads back to that room as well.

At our last home, we removed the carpets 100 percent and layed down laminate flooring. :love That was blissful....I adored that floor. It was tough and nothing scratched it and the only thing you had to worry about was too much liquid or water sitting on it too long. I could sweep and mop it and it looked brand new.....and it was totally free of allergens and hair. But it wasn't cheap.....

Carpet and pets do not mix.