Formulating a plan

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Dace,

I hope your situation works out for the best. :fl

A tip for the "scratchy shirts" - line dry them until almost dry. Throw a damp towel in the dryer with them. Run on high heat for only 10 minutes. Remove immediately.

It sounds like you are already taking some great steps. Everyone else has great ideas, too. Stick to your plan.

I actually think homemade gifts a just the greatest. I know that person has actually planned and spent time doing something for me. It's better than some "bric a brac" picked up last minute.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dace, I can give you my whole wheat bread recipe but we always use a couple cups of white flour in it as well. You can use all white flour if wanted.

I add flax seed, ground, to this recipe, to add moisture, flavor and nutrients...but it isn't necessary.

4 c. warm water
3 T. yeast
1 c. honey or brown sugar (we try to avoid white sugar but you can use this as well)
2 c. white flour

Combine these ingredients in a large bowl, mix well and let the yeast work (rise to a fluffy, bubbly mixture)

Add:

1/3 c. ground flax seed~optional
1 T. salt
1/2 c. canola oil
4 c. wheat flour (add one cup at a time..may need more or less than 4 cups)

Knead bread until springy and still slightly moist but not sticking to your hands. Oil dough ball and bowl with canola oil, cover with towel or plastic wrap and let raise. Form into rolls, loaves or flatbread and let raise again. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 25-30 min.

How we make this into sandwich bread without all the slicing and crumbles:

Instead of making loaves, I use cookie sheets and form dough into balls, even spaced on sheet and rolled to 3/4 in. (like a flat hot roll). When baked they will raise to about 1 1/2 -2 in. thick. They are then the perfect size to slice in half for sandwiches or to fit into the toaster. You can make them any size to suit the purpose. They keep longer this way, stay moist longer than loaves and fit into ziploc bags better. You can freeze these and thaw out later for toasting, if wanted. We call this style of bread "West Virginia Flatbread"! :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Great bread recipes!

Dace, I don't have any great advice to add. I think the people who responded before me have more smarts than I do. You are on the right track to learning alot that will help you.

Goodluck and I will keep you in our prayers!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I got a bread machine at a local fireman's auction for $7 and I have my large kitchen mixer. I use the bread machine only for mixing and kneading the dough. I really don't like the bread baked in it. By using both I am able to make dough in both at the same time and get 4 loaves at once. Or you could make dough in the bread machine and hand mix the second batch.

This is our everyday bread. The original instructions are for hand mix and kneading.

1 T sugar
5 1/2 to 6 cups flour (any combo of flour okay)
1 T yeast
1 T salt
corn meal
2 cups warm water (not over 110F)
boiling water

Add sugar and yeast to warm water and let dissolve. Gradually add salt and flour to liquid and mix thoroughly until dough pulls from sides of bowl. Turn out onto floured surface to knead. (This may be a little messy, but don't give up!)

Fold far edge of dough back over on itself towards you. Press dough away with heels of hands. After each push, rotate dough 90. Repeat process in rhythmic, rocking motion for about 3 minutes. (Lightly sprinkle flour on board to prevent sticking.) Let dough rest while you scrape out and grease mixing bowl. Knead dough again about 3 more minutes until bouncy and smooth.

Place dough in bowl and turn over once to grease the top. Cover with damp towel or plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk (1 to 2 hours).

Punch down dough with fist and briefly knead out gas bubbles. Cut in half and shape into 2 Italian or French-style loaves. Place on cookie sheet generously sprinkled with corn meal. Let dough rest 10 minutes.

Quick Method: Lightly slash the tops 3 or more times diagonally and brush with cold water. Place on rack in cold oven. Bake at 400F for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is golden brown and sounds hollow to the touch.

Traditional Method: For lighter, crustier bread, let loaves rise 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 450F for 15 minutes. Pour 2 to 3 cups of boiling water into roasting pan. Carefully place on oven bottom. Place bread on rack above pan and bake 20 minutes. Turn oven off and allow bread to remain for 5 more minutes.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This recipe was made for use in bread machine. I let the machine mix and knead the dough. Then I divide it into buttered glass bread pans, let it rise a final time and then bake at 325 for 20 to 25 minutes until golden and it sounds hollow when tapped.

Best Egg Bread

1 cup water
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 large egg
8 tsp unsalted butter or olive oil
6 T dry milk powder
4 tsp dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
4 c flour (up to 2 cups can be whole wheat)
3 tsp active dry yeast

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Karen - The original recipe asked for old-fashioned, or rolled oats. Like the regular, not quick Quaker kind, but not whole unflattened oat grains. I suppose you could use those in bread, but they probably don't soak up as much liquid and might need to be precooked some. As far as the squash goes, you could obviously use whatever the heck kind of winter squash or pumpkin you wanted... I've never tried it with other stuff, but I'd think you could get away with sweet potato (though you might need to water it down to make it as thin as squash puree) or maybe even turnip or something. Hm... definitely sqaush makes it delicious, I can't vouch for other things but it'd be fun to try.

Pat(andchickens) - I am also a big fan of a little "vital wheat gluten" to make the bread sandwichy, but it's so darn expensive in the store here... have you ever found a reasonably priced source?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks SG
that explains alot for me. I will be trying it! YUMMO!

so many great recipes and delish things being posted. ....WOW

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
ScottyG said:
....... I am also a big fan of a little "vital wheat gluten" to make the bread sandwichy, but it's so darn expensive in the store here... have you ever found a reasonably priced source?
Vital gluten is about $4 for a small box here. I found this recipe in my bread files. I have not tried it, so I'm not sure the ingredients to make it would be less than the vital gluten itself. :)

Dough Enhancer
4 c dry milk
3/4 c lecithin granules or powder
3 T vitamin C powder (or citric acid)
2 T ginger
3 T cornstarch

Mix and put in jar. Use 1 T per two loaves of bread.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If you grind your own wheat, it has so much gluten it practically makes itself! At least, mine does! :D